What’s better than a giant cookie made in a cast-iron skillet? One that’s stuffed AND topped with your favorite s’mores ingredients! This s’mores skillet cookie is the dessert of your dreams!
It is always hot in South Florida, so the chances of you sitting around a bonfire and making s’mores are slim to none. This skillet cookie is the perfect way to enjoy all the deliciousness that s’mores have to offer year-round, no matter what the climate is!
What is a s’mores skillet cookie?
This is one of the best ways to experience all the flavors of campfire s’mores without the fire or mess.
It all starts out with a cookie dough base. Then, layer all the s’mores ingredients on top – chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers. It’s all baked in the oven and comes out gooey and perfect!
What is the best skillet for a s’mores cookie?
I love to use my cast-iron skillet for this recipe. Not only can it go from stovetop to oven seamlessly, but you can use it when you go camping too!
If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet, just use any oven-safe skillet that you have. Stainless steel will work really well too.
Ingredients for s’mores skillet
For the ingredients, we are using classic chocolate chip cookie ingredients:
- Baking powder
- Vanilla extract
Then, the fun twist is the s’mores ingredients:
- Graham crackers
I wanted to be extra fun so I used the caramel-filled chocolate Ghirardelli squares!
Making the chocolate chip cookie
There are a few steps to this recipe. To make it easier for you, I’ll split up the steps into smaller sections.
Make the cookie dough
First, we are going to assemble the chocolate chip cookie part.
I start with softened unsalted butter (you know my fav is Kerrygold), brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
Beat this with an electric mixer until it is light and fluffy.
Next, add one whole egg and one egg yolk.
I separated the egg yolk by cracking the shell in half and transferring the yolk back and forth till it rids itself of the white. You can also do this with your hands and allow the white to go through your fingers into the sink.
Add the vanilla extract and mix again until the egg and vanilla are combined.
Next, add kosher salt and baking powder to the flour measurement. On the low mixer setting, slowly add the flour until it’s all combined. Do not add too much at once or it will alter the consistency of the batter.
Then, fold in chocolate chunks with a spatula into the batter.
To fold an ingredient into the batter means to mix it together gently. You don’t want to overmix the dough.
Once the chocolate is folded in, divide the batter down the center into two parts.
Assemble the s’mores skillet cookie
Now it’s time to assemble the delicious s’mores cookie. Use an 8-inch cast-iron skillet and butter the inside (to ensure it’s very nonstick).
Then, take half of the cookie dough you divided and press it into the bottom of the skillet. I went about half an inch up on the sides so that it will seal all the stuffing inside (more on that in a second).
The classic s’mores ingredients as stuffing is the best part of this recipe!
For the stuffing, I broke four graham crackers in half and situated them on top of the cookie dough, followed by some chocolate caramel-filled squares and mini marshmallows on top.
As I mentioned before, I chose to use caramel-filled chocolate for my s’mores skillet cookie, but you can substitute it with whatever chocolate you enjoy!
Now, take the remaining half of the cookie dough and spread it over the top of the stuffing. This will go into the oven for about 25-30 minutes, depending on how thick your cookie is.
Prepare the toppings
While the cookie is baking, crush up some graham crackers in a food storage bag and chop up some more chocolate. This is going to top the s’mores cookie!
At the 20-minute mark, sprinkle the rest of the marshmallows, as well as the chopped chocolate and crumbled graham crackers on top.
Then, let it finish baking it.
Cookie topping tip:
I don’t add these toppings at the beginning because the marshmallows will burn too much if they are in the oven for 30 minutes.
How to serve a s’mores skillet cookie
Once the time is up, let the skillet cookie cool for 10 minutes. Cut and serve like pie. Vanilla ice cream alongside a slice is optional, but highly recommended!
I hope you enjoy this delicious s’mores skillet cookie!
There are a few different ingredient changes you can make if you need to.
- Instead of butter, you can use ghee or clarified butter.
- For the chocolate chips, use your favorite kind. I imagine that dark chocolate chips will make this skillet cookie taste incredible.
- You can make it a gluten-free skillet cookie by just using your favorite gluten-free flour. Bob’s Red Mill makes a 1:1 gluten-free flour that works really well.
- Even though leaving out the marshmallows makes it less of a s’more, they are optional.
How to store cookie skillet
To store the skillet s’mores cookie, I would cut it up into slices and place them into an airtight food storage container or bag. You want to keep the air off of them so that they don’t go stale.
This skillet cookie will stay fresh for about a week when stored properly at room temperature (if you don’t eat all of it before then!)
You can also freeze the cookie! Just wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then place it in a freezer-safe food storage bag. Keep the cookie in the freezer for up to 6 months.
When you are ready to reheat, place in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Love baked goods? Check out these other recipes
- Healthier Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Spice Baked Donuts
- Lemon Poppy Baked Donuts
- Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins
- Pumpkin Bread
Made this recipe and loved it? Leave a star rating below!
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, softened +1 tsp
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows, divided
- 4 graham crackers, broken in half
- ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 8 chocolate Ghirardelli squares or 3 Hershey bars (broken up into squares)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Rub 1 tsp of unsalted butter inside an 8 inch cast iron skillet
- In a large mixing bowl, add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and 1 ½ sticks of softened butter. Mix with electric mixer until fluffy. Then add eggs, vanilla extract, and mix with electric mixer until combined. Add in the salt, baking powder, and on the low mixing setting slowly add in the flour. Do not add the flour in too much at a time or else the consistency will be affected. Once the flour is fully mixed in, fold in the ¼ cup of chocolate chips with a spatula. Divide the batter down the center evenly.
- Take one half of the cookie dough batter and spread into the cast iron skillet. Using your fingers, press the dough into the bottom to create one even thin layer, form a ½ inch wall around the sides. Place the broken in half graham crackers in one even layer, followed by 6 chocolate squares, and ½ of the marshmallows. Take the remaining cookie dough and spread over the top, using your hands to create an even layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. At the 20 minute mark, remove from the oven and spread the remaining chocolate squares, remaining marshmallows, and sprinkle the graham cracker crumble over the top. Return to the oven to finish baking. If marshmallows are toasted to your liking at the end of cook time, low broil for a few seconds.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Serve alone or with vanilla ice cream.
- If you don't have a cast-iron skillet, just use any oven-safe skillet that you have. Stainless steel will work really well too.
- I separated the egg yolk by cracking the shell in half and transferring the yolk back and forth till it rids itself of the white. You can also do this with your hands and allow the white to go through your fingers into the sink.
- To fold an ingredient into the batter means to mix it together gently. You don't want to overmix the dough.
- I don't add these toppings at the beginning because the marshmallows will burn too much if they are in the oven for 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 674Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 121mgCarbohydrates: 119gFiber: 4gSugar: 67gProtein: 11g
*Note: Nutrition information is an estimate. Values vary based on different brands and ingredients*