These red wine braised beef short ribs are slow cooked for hours until they are tender, juicy, and fall off the bone. Using a fool proof oven baked polenta method, you’re left with deliciously braised short ribs, creamy polenta, and topped with a smooth vegetable gravy.
Short Rib Ingredients
The ingredients for this dish are pretty much staple ingredients: beef stock, garlic, yellow onion, carrots, celery, thyme, tomato paste, parsley, and red wine. I almost always have these ingredients on hand. One ingredient you’ve seen me talk about in my soup posts is the ‘better than bouillon paste’. I’ve been loving this ingredient to give my soups/sauces and extra punch of flavor or ‘umami’. For this recipe I used the organic beef flavor.
Picking Short Ribs
When shopping for beef short ribs, first you want to make sure you’re picking bone-in short ribs. The bones will give it so much more flavor while it cooks. Next you want to pick the meatiest short ribs, I like to look for about 1 inch 1/2 thickness (they will shrink when cooking). There are different cuts, but English cut is most typical in most local grocery stores, usually 2-4 inches with only 1 bone, and what I used above. There is also a flanken cut, which has multiple bones and typically need to be cut down.
Braising Short Ribs
The definition of braise in the Oxford dictionary is to ‘fry lightly, then stew it closely in a closed container’. This is exactly what we are going to do with our short ribs, get a nice sear on each side, then put them in the slow cooker. Prior to searing, I seasoned both sides of the short ribs with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Then, I seared the short ribs in batches in my cast iron skillet using grape seed oil (you can use whichever high smoke point oil you have on hand). I seared them for about a minute or two on each side until they had a nice crust.
As I finished searing each short rib, I placed them into my crockpot/slow cooker. Can we all take a moment to bask in the seared short rib beauty?!
Once you have seared all the short ribs, lower the skillet heat to medium/low and add in the onion and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes to get a light char. Add in the wine and scrape up all the delicious bits on the bottom of the pan. Pour this over the short ribs in the crockpot and add the rest of the ingredients.
Slow cooking short ribs
The goal is to cook the short ribs low and slow. I cooked mine for 8 hours and I wouldn’t recommend cooking them for any less time. You want the short ribs to be fall off the bone, melt in your mouth tender.
I carefully removed the short ribs from the slow cooker, the thyme, and the bay leaves. Also, check for bones because some will have fallen off during the cooking process (#TenderMeatGoals).
Making short rib gravy
Don’t you dare discard those vegetables! Using an immersion blender, we are going to turn those delicious carrots, onions, celery, and garlic into gravy. Continue passing the immersion blender until no large pieces remain. Taste and add a pinch of salt or fresh ground black pepper if needed (and try to control your urge to keep tasting this amazing gravy).
Polenta is a tasty side dish made out of cornmeal. When choosing cornmeal, make sure you use medium grind or coarse grind. I advise against fine, because it will come out too pasty and the texture will be off.
I like to use half water and half chicken broth for a more flavorful polenta. If you don’t have chicken broth on hand, you can use all water.
There are many ways to cook polenta: stovetop, microwave, and oven. I honestly just don’t have the patience to sit and babysit polenta on the stovetop. I love this fool proof oven baked polenta. I added 1 cup of the cornmeal, then slowly whisked in the water and chicken broth until combined. I put in it the oven at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
After the 50 minutes, carefully remove the polenta, stir in a tablespoon of butter, a 1/4 cup of freshly grated parmesan and some fresh ground black pepper. Use a spatula to scrape up the sides as well. Return to the oven for 10 more minutes, remove, give it one more stir, and taste. Here you can adjust the salt or pepper if desired.
Assembling the dish
To assemble the dish, spread the polenta onto the bottom of the dish, followed by a short rib (or two), then spoon the gravy over the top and top with freshly chopped parsley. I plated with the bone in for presentation, but you can remove the bones prior to plating.
I hope you enjoy these slow cooker short ribs with my foolproof oven baked polenta!
Things you’ll need:
- Slow cooker/crockpot
- Cast iron skillet
- Immersion Blender
- Vegetable peeler
- 2 qt oven safe saucepan
- Measuring cups
- Cheese grater
Visit my store for useful tools and favorite kitchen items
Affiliate notice: The links above are affiliate links meaning I do make a small profit from your purchases. Your price is not affected by this commission. Thank you for supporting Girl with the Iron Cast
More slow cooker recipes!
- Slow cooker chicken tinga tacos
- Slow cooker chili
- Slow cooker butternut squash soup
- Slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken
These red wine braised beef short ribs are slow cooked for hours until they are tender, juicy, and fall off the bone. Using a fool proof oven baked polenta method, you’re left with deliciously braised short ribs, creamy polenta, topped with gravy.
- 5lbs bone in, english cut beef short ribs
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 celery ribs, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium beef stock
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tbsp beef better than bouillon paste
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup oil, for searing short ribs
- Fresh parsley, chopped to garnish
- 1 cup cornmeal, medium grind or coarse [see note]
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Slow Cooker short ribs
- Season both sides of the short ribs with kosher salt and black pepper. In a cast iron over medium/high heat, add the oil. Once hot, sear each side of the short ribs for 1 minute until a nice golden brown crust is formed (you may have to sear in batches). Once done searing all sides, place into the slow cooker/crockpot.
- Lower the heat to medium/low and add the onions and garlic cloves. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until they lightly char. Add in the red wine and deglaze the pan for 3 minutes, scraping up the bits on the bottom of the pan. Remove from the stove and pour over the short ribs in the slow cooker.
- Add the carrots, celery, beef stock, bouillon paste, tomato paste, thyme, bay leaves, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, and 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper to the slow cooker. Using tongs, mix all of the ingredients together. Set the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- After the 8 hours have elapsed, remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaves, then discard them. Carefully remove the short ribs and set aside, check and remove any bones that have fallen off of the short ribs. Using an immersion blender, blend all the vegetables until a gravy is formed. Taste the gravy and add salt/pepper if necessary. Serve the polenta, followed by the short ribs on top, and then spoon the gravy over the top [see note]. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Oven baked polenta
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 2 qt oven safe sauce pan, add in the cup of cornmeal. Slowly whisk in the water and chicken broth.
- Place in the oven and cook for 50 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven, add in a tbsp of butter, and 1/4 cup of cheese. Stir to combine and scrape around the edges of the pot. Place back into the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, stir, and taste. Add kosher salt/black pepper if needed. Serve immediately.
- You can serve the short ribs with the bone in for presentation, or you can just remove them prior to serving.
- Don’t use fine cornmeal or texture will be pasty and off
- You can make the short ribs in advance and reheat the next day. When storing, a layer of fat may accumulate on the top, simply use a spoon to remove and discard.
Keywords: short ribs, braised short ribs, slow cooker, polenta, oven baked polenta