What’s better than a giant cookie made in a cast iron skillet? One that’s stuffed AND topped with your favorite s’mores ingredients! This s’mores skillet cookie is the dessert of your dreams!
Ok, so it’s always hot in South Florida so the chances of you sitting around a bon fire making s’mores is slim to none. This is the perfect way to enjoy all the deliciousness that s’mores has to offer no matter what climate and year round!
For the ingredients, we are using classic chocolate chip ingredients: flour, eggs, baking soda, sugar, butter, and vanilla extract. Then the fun twist is the s’mores ingredients: marshmallows, graham crackers, and I wanted to be fun and use the caramel filled chocolate Ghirardelli squares. You can swap the chocolate squares out for regular chocolate if you wish.
Making the chocolate chip cookie
First we are going to assemble the chocolate chip cookie part. I start with softened unsalted butter (you know my fav is kerrygold), brown sugar, and granulated sugar. You’re going to beat this with an electric mixer until it is light and fluffy.
Next, you’re going to add one whole egg and one egg yolk. I separate the egg yolk by cracking the shell in half and transferring the yolk back and forth till it rids itself of the white. You can also do this with your hands and allow the white to go through your fingers into the sink. Add the vanilla extract and mix again until the egg and vanilla are combined.
Next I added kosher salt and baking soda to the flour measurement. On the low mix setting, slowly add the flour until it’s all combined. Do not add too much at once or it will alter the consistency of the batter.
I then folded in chocolate chunks with a spatula into the batter. Once the chocolate is folded in, I divide the batter down the center into two parts.
Assembling the cookie skillet
Now comes the assembling. I used an 8 inch cast iron skillet and buttered the inside (to ensure it’s very nonstick). Take half of the cookie dough you divided and press it into the bottom of the skillet. I went about half an inch up on the sides, so it will seal all the stuffing inside (more on that in one second).
The best part, the stuffing! So I broke 4 graham crackers in half and situated them on top of the cookie dough, followed by some chocolate caramel filled squares, and mini marshmallows on top. As I said earlier, you can sub the caramel filled chocolate for regular chocolate squares.
Now, take the remaining half of cookie dough and spread it over the top of the stuffing. This is going to go into the oven for about 25-30 minutes depending on how thick your cookie is.
While the cookie is baking, I crushed up some graham crackers in a ziplock bag and chopped up some more chocolate. This is going to top the s’mores cooking towards
At the 20 minute mark, I sprinkled the rest of the marshmallows on top, chopped chocolate, and some crumbled graham crackers then finished baking it. I don’t add these toppings at the beginning because the marshmallows will burn too much if they are in for 30 minutes.
S’mores Skillet Cookie
Once the time is up, let the skillet cookie cool for 10 minutes. Cut and serve like a pie, vanilla ice cream alongside is optional but highly recommended! I hope you enjoy this delicious s’mores skillet cookie!
Things you’ll need:
Visit my store for useful tools and favorite kitchen items
Affiliate notice: The links above are affiliate links meaning I do make a small profit from your purchases. Your price is not affected by this commission. Thank you for supporting Girl with the Iron Cast
Love baked goods? Check out these other recipesPrint
S’mores Skillet Cookie
This s’mores skillet cookie is a giant chocolate chip cookie stuffed with your favorite s’mores ingredients!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened +1 tsp
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows, divided
- 4 graham crackers, broken in half
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 8 chocolate Ghirardelli squares or 3 Hershey bars (broken up into squares)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Rub 1 tsp of unsalted butter inside an 8 inch cast iron skillet
- In a large mixing bowl, add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and 1 1/2 sticks of softened butter. Mix with electric mixer until fluffy. Then add eggs, vanilla extract, and mix with electric mixer until combined. Add in the salt, baking powder, and on the low mixing setting slowly add in the flour. Do not add the flour in too much at a time or else the consistency will be affected. Once the flour is fully mixed in, fold in the 1/4 cup of chocolate chips with a spatula. Divide the batter down the center evenly.
- Take one half of the cookie dough batter and spread into the cast iron skillet. Using your fingers, press the dough into the bottom to create one even thin layer, form a 1/2 inch wall around the sides. Place the broken in half graham crackers in one even layer, followed by 6 chocolate squares, and 1/2 of the marshmallows. Take the remaining cookie dough and spread over the top, using your hands to create an even layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. At the 20 minute mark, remove from the oven and spread the remaining chocolate squares, remaining marshmallows, and sprinkle the graham cracker crumble over the top. Return to the oven to finish baking. If marshmallows are toasted to your liking at the end of cook time, low broil for a few seconds.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Serve alone or with vanilla ice cream.
- Images provided in recipe post for guidance
Keywords: s’mores, s’mores cookie, skillet cookie, cast iron, baking