Oh banana bread, how I love you so much… minus all the sugar and butter that makes you oh so good. Don’t get me wrong I can still get down with buttery/sugary banana bread, but yes we are all trying to make more health conscious decisions these days. That’s why I came up with this healthier banana bread with chocolate chips recipe.
No, your eyes do not deceive you… that is an avocado in the above picture. I use the avocado in place of butter in this recipe. Using avocado as a butter substitute in baking lowers the calories so much, is heart friendly, and lower in cholesterol. You won’t taste the avocado in the bread, but it does give it a great consistency and keeps it moist.
In addition to the butter substitute, I used maple syrup in place of granulated sugar. You can also use honey as a natural sugar substitute, but I prefer using maple syrup in this recipe.
Again, don’t be alarmed by the green-ish hue after you blend all the wet ingredients. As you see in the picture below, once you mix it with the dry ingredients it assumes the regular brown batter color.
The main ingredient is where I also wanted to switch it up, the flour. Instead of all purpose flour, I substituted whole wheat flour which provides more fiber and nutrients. I used I use a few tablespoons of greek yogurt in this recipe to give the banana bread that light, fluffy, moist texture on the inside. The acid in it helps activate the baking soda, making it fluffy and light.
Ok, you caught me… this isn’t the healthiest version because I love chocolate chips in my banana bread. If that’s not your thing though you can use chopped nuts or just go plain Jane.
I line my loaf pan with parchment paper which is optional, but I think it’s easier to get the loaf out. If not, make sure you spray down the inside with non-stick spray (I am loving coconut oil spray currently). I also like to use little clips to hold it in place while I pour the batter in.
I top with a few more chocolate chips on top, again you can substitute with nuts on top or even some sliced bananas. It’s going to go into the oven for about 50-55 minutes. Remember ovens run a bit differently heat wise and the baking dish you’re using will also influence bake time. Around the 50 minute mark take a toothpick and stick it in the center, if it comes out dry it’s done.
Let it cool for 10 minutes before enjoying!
You can also make them into muffins! Follow the exact recipe, but scoop the batter into a lined muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes!
Try my pumpkin bread for a seasonal treat!
Visit my store for useful tools and favorite kitchen items
Affiliate notice: The links above are affiliate links meaning I do make a small profit from your purchases. Your price is not affected by this commission. Thank you for supporting Girl with the Iron CastPrint
Healthier Banana Bread
Deliciously moist banana bread with healthier ingredient substitutes!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
- Category: Baking
- Method: Bake
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 avocado (about 1/3 cup), pitted and flesh scooped out
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp plain greek yogurt
- Optional: 1/4 cup chocolate chips or chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl combine: flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a food processor add: avocado, banana, coconut oil, vanilla extract, maple syrup, egg, and greek yogurt. Lighly pulse until combined. Pour into the dry mixture, and stir until combined. Add chocolate chips or nuts and stir to combine.
- In a baking loaf pan lined with parchment paper or greased, pour banana bread mixture inside. Can top with additional chocolate chips or nuts or banana slices.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and cleanly removed. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before enjoying.
- If making into muffins, use a muffin tin with lined cups, spray some coconut oil and spoon in the batter. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
Keywords: banana bread