These honey roasted carrots with toasted coriander and cumin seeds are the perfect side dish to any meal. The honey on the carrots help caramelize the carrots while they roast making them so tender and delicious. Minimal ingredients, maximum flavor, these oven roasted carrots are a keeper.
For this recipe you can use regular carrots or rainbow carrots. Not peeling carrots is actually controversial. Most people are trained to always peel carrots, but I’m here to tell you not to with this recipe. Make sure you scrub the carrots really well with a vegetable brush. As you can see above, the right are before and the left are after cleaning thoroughly.
Once the carrots are thoroughly cleaned, line them on a baking sheet. I like to use silicone mats on my baking sheets. It not only helps with clean up, but when you bake honey it can sometime burn and I’ve noticed the silicone helps curb this. If you don’t have a silicone mat, line your baking sheet with foil.
Coriander and cumin seeds
Coriander is actually known as Chinese parsley. The most common parts to use are the leaves and the seeds. Cumin is from southwest Asia and is mostly used in its ground and seed form. I like to quickly toast the seeds to release the flavor, it really makes a huge difference and I highly recommend.
When you crush the seeds they release a lemony citrus flavor that goes so well with the carrots. I use a mortar and pestle, but you can also use a spice grinder and pulse gently.
Aren’t skin on carrots bitter?
As I mentioned in the beginning, everyone peels their carrots. It does have it’s place, such as when you’re steaming, pureéing, and eating them raw. The skin is tied to ‘bitter’ tastes, but if you roast with something sweet such as honey, it will balance it out. In a small bowl, whisk together the honey and olive oil until smooth. This helps the honey become more easily spreadable.
First I drizzled the honey olive oil over the carrots, followed by sprinkling the crushed coriander and cumin seeds. Using my hands I tossed the carrots so they were fully coated. Sprinkle some kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper over the top and place in the oven.
Cook for 25-30 minutes until the carrots are easily pierced with a fork. Roasting time may vary due to the size of the carrots. When piercing the carrots to test for tenderness, do it at the top of the carrots where they are the largest.
Remove from the oven and serve! These honey roasted carrots with coriander and cumin are the perfect side dish for any meal. I hope you enjoy them!
Looking for more delicious side dishes?
Made this recipe and loved it? Leave a star rating below!
Honey Roasted Coriander Carrots
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Once carrots have been scrubbed/cleaned, place on a lined baking sheet side by side.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, add in the coriander and cumin seeds. Toast for 1 minute, remove from heat, and add to a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. Lightly grind the seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and honey until smooth. Drizzle the honey oil over the carrots, then sprinkle the crushed cumin and coriander seeds, and kosher salt/freshly ground black pepper. Use your hands to toss the carrots until they are fully coated.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the carrots are fork tender at the top near the stem [note: size will dictate cooking time]. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- Since we are leaving the skin on, thoroughly wash the carrots.
- Use a silicone mat or line the baking sheet, so the honey doesn’t burn onto the baking sheet while roasting.