Yeah baked potatoes and mashed potatoes are cool… but my favorite way to eat potatoes involved crispy outsides, soft delicious insides, and some sort of garlic and herb duo to go along with it. These crispy roasted potatoes deliver on all of the above.
I used russet potatoes for this recipe and kept the skin on after throughly scrubbing them (since they grow in the ground and all..). The skin is what helps get these potatoes crispy and I like leaving it on for texture and it has a lot of nutrients as well.
You have to cook the potato a bit before we crisp it up so the inside softens. You can accomplish this with a pot of boiling water and put them in for a few minutes, but I like to take the easy route and microwave them. In a microwave safe dish, I put about half an inch of water and cover it with microwave safe plastic wrap (poke some holes as vents).This will steam and soften the center.
While your potatoes are in their microwave jacuzzi, we are going to work on our herb and garlic infused olive oil. In a small saucepan we are going to heat up: olive oil, garlic, rosemary, fresh chopped oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, and some salt/ pepper.
You’re going to let the garlic cook for a few minutes so the olive oil infuses with all of these delicious flavors.
Then strain the olive oil and keep the garlic and herb mixture to use later.
Next we are going to take our potatoes and put them in a large bowl. Sprinkle some corn starch on them and stir. Once they are coated you’re going to pour the olive oil over the potatoes and stir until they have a coating like above.
Spread them out on a cooking pan (ungreased, the olive oil will cause them not to stick). You’re going to cook them undisturbed for 20 minutes on the bottom rack so they get a nice crisp bottom. Remove from the oven and using a spatula toss them around and back in the oven. You’re going to do another 20 minute session. Remove them from the oven again, add some parmesan cheese, and using the spatula to toss them around again. They will go back in the oven for 10-15 more minutes depending on how crisp you want them.
Once you remove them you should have beautifully crisp potatoes with a soft center.
Place in a serving bowl, add the garlic herb mixture on top, and you can serve with fresh parsley over the top. Enjoy!
Love Potatoes? Here are other recipes:
Visit my store for useful tools and favorite kitchen items
Affiliate notice: The links above are affiliate links meaning I do make a small profit from your purchases. Your price is not affected by this commission. Thank you for supporting Girl with the Iron CastPrint
Crispy Roasted Potatoes
Crispy oven roasted potatoes with a garlic and herb infused olive oil and dusted with parmesan. Crispy on the outside, soft and pillowy on the inside.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, washed and cubed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp rosemary, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Garnish: 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Place potatoes in an oven safe dish with 1/2in of water, cover with plastic wrap and poke holes, then microwave for 10min till they can be pierced with a fork. Drain and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- While potatoes are cooking, in a small sauce pan over medium heat, add the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, strain olive oil into a dish, and keep garlic mixture to the side.
- After draining the potatoes, add them to a large bowl. Sprinkle the corn starch on them and mix until coated. Add the olive oil to the potatoes and stir/toss them until they have developed a coating.
- Spread them onto a sheet pan in one layer and put on the lower rack. Allow to cook undisturbed for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and using a spatula, flip and move them around. Add them back into the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven again and add the parmesan on top, using the spatula flip and move around. Put back into the oven for 10-15 minutes until desired crisp has been achieved.
- Place into serving dish and top with garlic herb mixture and fresh parsley.
Keywords: roasted potatoes, potatoes, garlic herb potatoes