This spiced coconut rice with okra is the perfect side dish. Inspired by caribbean rice, this coconut rice will elevate your dish with so much flavor.
This rice is inspired by one of my favorite local restaurants. The family is from Guyana which is technically in South America, but it’s culturally connected to the Caribbean. The best part about Caribbean flavors is they always pack that amazing punch and rice is the perfect vessel to carry that.
I started out sautéing some minced shallot and garlic. No, your eyes do not deceive you, that is a scotch bonnet pepper in the picture. If you do not like spicy you can omit, but I leave it in just in the first few steps to lend some heat.
Next I added light coconut milk, water, fresh thyme, and a touch of ground all spice seasoning. The coconut milk really mellows out the heat and if you’re eating it with a spicy protein (such as my jerk chicken recipe) it compliments it so well.
Next I added in the rice. You can use white rice or brown rice. Definitely remove the habanero pepper now, so it doesn’t get too spicy on you. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes (depending on the type of rice you’re using, follow package instructions). Stir after 5 minutes so nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook until rice is tender.
While the rice is simmering, let’s play with some okra. So I’ve actually never cooked okra before and all I know is it’s slimy because Tom Colicchio on “top chef” always says he hates it cause of how slimy it is. So I figured putting it in with the rice would not be a good idea.
I put a little oil in a small skillet and sautéd it with salt & pepper on medium heat until it began to slightly brown, about 8 minutes.
Once the rice is finished cooking, fluff with a fork, add to a bowl, and top with your sautéd okra and chopped scallions. As I said above, this pairs great with my jerk chicken marinade recipe!
Visit my store for useful tools and favorite kitchen items
Affiliate notice: The links above are affiliate links meaning I do make a small profit from your purchases. Your price is not affected by this commission. Thank you for supporting Girl with the Iron CastPrint
Caribbean Coconut Okra Rice
Caribbean rice cooked in coconut milk with warm spices, okra, and a little kick. The perfect side dish to an island meal.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Rice
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- 1 cup white or brown long grain rice
- 13.5oz lite coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp shallot, minced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 scotch bonnet or habanero pepper (optional, omit if you do not want spicy)
- 3/4 tsp ground all spice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced okra
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- Garnish: chopped scallions
- In a medium rice pot over medium heat, add minced shallot, scotch bonnet pepper, minced garlic and thyme and sauté 5 minutes. Turn the heat to medium high, add in the coconut milk, water, fresh ground pepper, kosher salt, and all spice. Stir to combine, bring liquid to a boil, remove pepper. Add the rice in, stir, lower the heat to simmer, and cover. After five minutes, give it another stir so rice doesn’t stick to the bottom. Cook time for the rice according to package instruction.
- While the rice cooks, in a small skillet heat up 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Once warm, add the sliced okra and sauté until the seeds and sides begin to brown, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Once rice is cooked and tender, remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. Spoon into a serving bowl and top with the sliced okra and garnish with chopped scallions
- If you do not like spicy, entirely omit the pepper in the recipe.
- Serve along with my jerk chicken recipe
Keywords: Caribbean rice, okra, coconut milk