This homemade turkey gravy recipe with pan drippings utilizes aromatics, fresh herbs, and white wine for a flavorful gravy to go with your Thanksgiving meal. This easy turkey gravy recipe can also be made ahead, to save precious time on Thanksgiving.
This turkey gravy is made with pan drippings from my dry brined turkey breast recipe. The other ingredients are turkey stock, dry white wine, butter, fresh sage and thyme, flour, and shallot. If using pan drippings from a brined bird, use unsalted butter and unsalted or low sodium turkey stock.
- Start by melting 3 tbsp unsalted butter in a saucepan over medium heat
- Add the chopped sage, thyme, and shallot
- Stir to combine
- Allow the herbs and shallot to infuse and cook into the butter for 5 minutes
- Add white wine to herb infused butter and allow it to reduce by half for 4 minutes
- Sprinkle flour over the top
- Mix flour until fully incorporated
- Add in the turkey stock and a few tablespoons of pan drippings (if making ahead of time, add stock and omit drippings until turkey is roasted)
Once the stock has been added, whisk until all clumps are removed. Since the drippings are already salty, no need to add additional salt. Add freshly ground black pepper and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. If you want a thinner consistency, add more turkey stock or water to thin.
You can serve right away with your Thanksgiving meal or if you are making it ahead of time, allow to cool and store in airtight container in the refrigerator.
If you made the gravy ahead and want to add pan drippings, return the cold turkey gravy to a saucepan. Over low heat, so you do not burn it, allow it to warm. Once warmed, add a tablespoon or two of your pan drippings to taste, and whisk to integrate into the gravy.
Serve over the top of my dry brined turkey breast recipe!
Looking for Thanksgiving side dishes?
- Green Bean Casserole with Fried Shallots
- Cornbread Sausage Stuffing
- Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- Roasted Garlic and Herb Mashed Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Honey Coriander Roasted Carrots
Made this recipe and loved it? Leave a star rating below!
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup low sodium turkey stock
- 1/4 cup drippings from roast turkey
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, add 3 tbsp unsalted butter. Once melted, add in the chopped thyme, sage, and shallot. Stir to combine and allow the herbs and shallot to infuse and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add white wine and allow to reduce by half, about 4 minutes. Once reduced, sprinkle the flour over the top and stir until flour is fully incorporated. Add in the turkey stock and 2 tbsp of the pan drippings from roasted turkey (if making ahead of time, omit pan drippings until turkey is roasted).
- Once the stock is added, whisk until all clumps are removed. Since the pan drippings are salty, no need to add additional salt. Add freshly ground black pepper and lower the heat to low. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes for flavors to meld. If you want a thinner consistency you can add more stock or water.
- You can serve right away along side your dinner or if you're making ahead of time, allow to cool and store in an airtight container.
- If made ahead of time: If you made the gravy ahead and want to add pan drippings, return the cold turkey gravy to a saucepan. Over low heat, so you do not burn it, allow it to warm. Once warmed, add a tablespoon or two of your pan drippings to taste, and whisk to integrate into the gravy.
- If using pan drippings from a brined bird, use unsalted butter and unsalted or low sodium turkey stock.
- Pan drippings used from dry brined turkey recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 139Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 248mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g
*Note: Nutrition information is an estimate. Values vary based on different brands and ingredients*