This shaved Brussels sprout salad with crispy bacon, creamy goat cheese, apples, pecans and dressed with a homemade citrus shallot vinaigrette. This Brussels sprout salad is easy, refreshing, and the perfect fall salad.
- Since this dish uses raw Brussels sprouts, you want to make sure they are cleaned well. Soak them in salted water for 15-20 minutes.
- Once soaked, drain the water and proceed to pull off any loose/damaged outer leaves. I leave the stem on to hold the Brussels sprout.
- The easiest fastest way to prep this dish is with a mandoline. It will also give you evenly shredded pieces. I always use the guard or use a cutting glove to protect my hand.
- Shred the sprout down to the stem and discard. Repeat till all Brussels sprouts are shredded.
Once all the Brussels sprouts are shaved, add them to a large bowl, breaking up pieces with your fingers as you add them.
Citrus shallot vinaigrette
This citrus shallot vinaigrette is going to “marinate” your Brussels sprouts and tenderize them.
- Mince shallot
- Add: olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, kosher salt and black pepper
- Whisk to combine all the ingredients
- Pour over the shaved Brussels sprouts
Toss the shaved Brussels and vinaigrette together till fully coated. Cover the Brussels and let it marinate for 20-30 minutes (this is a non-negotiable step).
While your Brussels are marinating, it’s time for the bacon! The bacon adds a nice salty complimentary flavor to the salad. I used applewood smoked bacon, but you can substitute whatever type of bacon.
Once the bacon is done cooking, place the bacon on a plate with paper towel to drain the excess fat.
I also used my mandoline on the thicker setting to cut the apples. I used the slices around the dish and then added some chopped up pieces within the salad. I used fuji apples, but again you can use other apples if you already have them on hand.
Assembling the salad is very straight forward, remove your marinated Brussels and add the bacon, goat cheese, apples, and pecans. Toss to combine all the ingredients.
If you are not serving the salad right away, I recommend waiting to add the apples, because they will brown as they sit.
Looking for other salad recipes?
- Salad with lemon dijon vinaigrette
- Asian Salad with spicy peanut dressing
- Mexican garden chicken salad
Made this recipe and loved it? Leave a star rating below!
- Small shallot, finely minced (about 2 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs brussels sprouts
- 5 strips applewood smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 fuji apple, 1/2 sliced & the rest roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- In a large bowl, add Brussels sprouts, pinch of kosher salt, and cover with water. Allow Brussels to soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse Brussels sprouts and pull off any loose/damaged outer leaves. Using a mandoline with guard or cutting glove, carefully slice sprouts into thin pieces. Place in a large bowl, breaking up the circular pieces with your hands as you go.
- In a small bowl whisk together vinaigrette ingredients: minced shallot, olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, kosher salt & pepper. Once mixed, pour over the shaved Brussels sprouts, toss using tongs until fully coated, then cover and let it marinate for 20 minutes (do not skip marinating step).
- While the Brussels marinate, cook the bacon. Slice bacon and cook in a cast iron skillet until crispy (about 6-8 minutes). Place on a plate with paper towel to drain excess fat.
- Remove the marinated Brussels sprouts and add the bacon, goat cheese, diced apple, and pecans. Toss to combine and serve.
- Make sure brussels are sliced thin and uniformly
- Let brussels marinate in vinaigrette for 20 minutes
- If preparing ahead of time, wait to cut and add apples or they will brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 373Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 927mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 7gSugar: 10gProtein: 13g
*Note: Nutrition information is an estimate. Values vary based on different brands and ingredients*