This steak marinade recipe will give you the most tender and juicy meat. Marinated sirloin steak skewered with vegetables, then topped with a homemade blended chimichurri sauce. This is the best steak marinade you’ll ever make!
What steak to use for skewers?
When it comes to beef skewers, there are a lot of options out there. I utilized sirloin steak because not only is it budget friendly, because we are marinating it, it gets very tender and juicy. You could be fancy and use a filet or rib-eye, but to me it’s not worth breaking the bank for.
Why marinate steak? When it comes to eating a filet or fancy cut of beef I only utilize salt and pepper, no marinade. When you have a more tough cut of meat, marinating is your best friend. Marinating meat helps elevate the flavor, helps tenderize it, and helps it not dry out when cooking.
Utilizing acidic ingredients is what helps break down the tough fibers in the meat and help tenderize it. Incorporating lemons, limes, or orange juice is always recommended to use in a marinade. You can also use vinegars too as an acidic component.
I whisked together all of the marinade ingredients until fully combined. I cut the sirloin into 2 inch cubes, remember they will shrink when they cook so don’t cut them too small. Then I put them into the marinade and mixed them all in until fully coated. Cover and place in the refrigerator for minimum 4 hours.
When it comes to grilling vegetables, the world is your oyster. I wanted these skewers to be more hearty, so I used baby golden potatoes. Make sure you use small potatoes, or else they won’t fully cook through when you grill the skewers. I also used: bell peppers, whole garlic cloves, and red onion. You want to cut these into one inch squares. You could also use zucchinis and mushrooms too.
Making the steak skewers
I kept it simple with the vegetables, just some olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper. The steak marinade has so much flavor and the juices will help flavor the vegetables once they are all on the skewer.
When assembling the skewer, I pre-soaked my wooden skewers. This will help them not burn/catch fire when you are grilling. You want to start/end with the most secure vegetable. I put the potatoes on the end because even when cooked, they wont slide off when cooking on the grill. Be mindful if you’re using zucchini, they tend to slide off so I don’t put them on the ends.
Grilling the skewers
Make sure your grill is clean and brought up to high heat. Once pre-heated, lower the heat to medium and place the skewers on the grill. Turn the skewers every couple of minutes to ensure all sides are getting evenly cooked. Depending on how you like your steak cooked will vary the cook time. An electric thermometer is always great to have on hand. For medium rare internal temperature should be 130-135. For medium temperature should be 145. It takes about 8-10 minutes.
A lot of elements can affect the cooking time of the steak such as wind outside, location of the kabobs on the grill, distance from the flame, so just keep an eye on them and utilize that thermometer. No one likes an overcooked steak!
Chimichurri is an uncooked sauce, typically served over meat. I used cilantro, parsley, garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, a jalapeño, and lime juice. Chimichurri can also be made using basil, I usually just go with whichever herbs I have on hand. You can blend it for a more smooth sauce like above, or you can just finely chop all of the ingredients like I did on my marinated flank steak recipe with chimichurri.
I hope you enjoy these marinated steak skewers with chimichurri. The perfect grilling recipe for BBQ’s or the weeknights!
Things you’ll need:
Visit my store for useful tools and favorite kitchen items
Affiliate notice: The links above are affiliate links meaning I do make a small profit from your purchases. Your price is not affected by this commission. Thank you for supporting Girl with the Iron Cast
Check out these other grilling recipes!
- Carne Asada Tacos
- Marinated Chicken Skewers
- Jerk Chicken Skewers
- Marinated Flank Steak with Chimichurri
- Blue Cheese Burgers
Marinated Steak Skewers with Chimichurri
These marinated steak skewers using sirloin steak are grilled to tender juicy perfection with baby potatoes, delicious vegetables, topped with a chimichurri sauce
- Prep Time: 4 hours + 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Marinating + Grilling
- Method: Grill
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup low sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- Juice of one lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs sirloin steak, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 lb baby dutch yellow potatoes [see note]
- 2 bell peppers, seeds removed, cut into squares
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 red onion, peeled, cut into squares
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Wooden skewers (soaked)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 jalapeño, seeded
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- pinch of kosher salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the marinade ingredients until fully combined. Add in the cubed sirloin pieces and mix until all the steak is fully coated. Cover and refrigerate for minimum 4 hours. If using wooden skewers, place in water to soak [see note].
- Once the steak is finished marinating, in a separate medium bowl place all the vegetables, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss until vegetables are coated.
- Grab a pre-soaked skewer and begin adding the vegetables and steak. I start with the potato because it will remain secure and the other elements won’t slide off when grilling. I use about 3-4 pieces of steak per skewer. Discard marinade.
- Preheat the grill on high and clean the grill grates if needed. Once grill is preheated, lower the heat to medium and place the skewers onto the grill. Cook for 8-10 minutes, rotating every few minutes so it is evenly cooked. Utilize an electric thermometer for desired doneness, for medium rare internal temperature should be 135 degrees F. For medium temperature should be 145 degrees F. Remove from the grill.
- Add all the chimichurri ingredients into a food processor and pulse until combined. [see note]
Serve the steak skewers with the chimichurri sauce drizzled on the top. Enjoy!
- Make sure you use small baby potatoes, larger potatoes will not be able to cook through with the cook time on the grill
- Pre-soak wooden skewers so they do not burn/catch fire when grilling
- If you do not have a food processor for the chimichurri, you can chop all the ingredients and whisk them to combine.
Keywords: steak marinade, steak skewers, grilled vegetables, chimichurri sauce