It’s Cinco de Mayo week which is an excuse to eat as many tacos as possible (a.k.a. An ordinary week of taco eating for me). These carne asada tacos are marinated to juicy and tender perfection.
All the different elements of this marinade play their own special role in making it so flavorful. All the citrus in this marinade not only lends a nice acid component to the flavor, but it also helps tenderize the meat. Another one of my favorite elements is the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. This along with the smoked paprika and dark chili powder is going to give your steak that Smokey depth of flavor.
Skirt steak is the perfect blank canvas for making steak tacos. The marinade helps tenderize a sometimes tough cut of meat and soaks up so much flavor in the process.
You’re going to add all the ingredients to a container or ziplock bag. Skirt steaks can be pretty long, so I cut mine in half before marinating. It makes the cooking process easier when you have to flip it. I marinate this for 12-24 hours to ensure I get the most flavor and tenderness out of it.
You can cook the skirt steak either on the grill or in a cast iron pan. I have done it both ways and I enjoyed both. The grill will give you a better char on the meat and some more texture.
These carne asada tacos are the perfect meal for cinco de Mayo or any taco Tuesday you’re having! Life is better when tacos are involved, that is a fact. Enjoy!
Visit my store for useful tools and favorite kitchen items
Affiliate notice: The links above are affiliate links meaning I do make a small profit from your purchases. Your price is not affected by this commission. Thank you for supporting Girl with the Iron Cast
See the video below of the marinade and cooking in a cast iron!Print
Carne Asada Tacos
This carne asada taco marinade infuses so much flavor into the skirt steak leaving it so tender and perfect for tacos!
- Prep Time: 24 hours
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 24 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Steak
- Method: Marinade
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 to 1 1/2 lb skirt steak (see note)
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 1/2 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
- 4 chipotles in adobo sauce, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dark chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- In a container or large ziplock, whisk together all of the marinade ingredients. Place skirt steak in the marinade, seal the container, place in fridge, and marinate for 12-24 hours.
- Remove from marinade and you can prepare either on the grill or in a cast iron pan.
- Grill: Preheat the grill on high heat and oil the grates carefully. Once preheated, add the steak and cook each side 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from grill, place on a plate, and allow to rest covered in foil for 5 minutes before slicing/serving.
- Cast Iron Pan: In a seasoned large cast iron pan over high heat, add the skirt steak. Cook on each side for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from cast iron, place on a plate, and allow to rest covered in foil for 5 minutes before slicing/serving.
- Slice the skirt steak against the grain and assemble your tacos! Enjoy!
- If the skirt steak is extremely long, you can cut it in half to make flipping on the grill easier.
- Against the grain: Opposite way of the muscle fibers, easy to find on skirt steak so you’ll be cutting across the shorter length.
Keywords: carne asada, skirt steak, marinade, grilling, steak marinade, steak tacos