This easy chicken noodle soup recipe is just what the doctor ordered. Using a rotisserie chicken and building the most flavorful base, this chicken noodle soup recipe is perfect for cold weather or when you need some comfort food!
I’ve been eating this soup for over 20 years. My grandma/mom used to make this anytime one of us would be feeling under the weather and it is basically a hug in a bowl. Fast forward, now as an adult, I find myself making this several times a month even when I’m not feeling under the weather.
The base is the most important part of making a super flavorful soup. The onion, celery, carrots, and garlic are the vegetables I utilize. I use a combination of olive oil, a little butter, dried thyme, and chicken bouillon. I used to use the cubes, but I came across this paste version and it’s AMAZING! It gives the broth so much umami (the 5th taste) and dimension, the past absorbs better into the stock than the cubes.
I always use a rotisserie chicken because it’s so much easier and that crispy skin gives the broth so much flavor [even though I end up eating half of it while cutting up the chicken]. You can also use any type of noodles you like, I’ve always used elbows, but egg noodles are classic.
I actually cook the noodles in the soup, instead of separately because it soaks up so much delicious flavor that we built with the broth. Because of this, make sure you scrape the bottom of the pot after a few minutes, they tend to get stuck to the bottom at first.
After it’s done simmering, you have a cozy delicious chicken noodle soup that is perfect for cold days, days you aren’t feeling well, or days that you just need a great soup! Oddly enough, the leftovers of this chicken noodle soup taste even better the next day.
See below a video of my chicken noodle soup!
Love soup? Here’s other recipes
- Vegetable orzo soup
- Vegan mushroom soup
- Hot Italian sausage white bean soup
- Slow cooker butternut squash soup
Visit my store for useful tools and favorite kitchen items
Affiliate notice: The links above are affiliate links meaning I do make a small profit from your purchases. Your price is not affected by this commission. Thank you for supporting Girl with the Iron CastPrint
Chicken Noodle Soup with a super flavorful broth that is so comforting. Perfect for those cold days or when you’re feeling under the weather.
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded or cubed
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups carrot, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, sliced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp ‘better than bouillon’ organic chicken paste or 2 bouillon cubes
- 3 Qts low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 bag of elbow pasta or other
- Handful parsley, chopped
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Serve with crackers or fresh baguette
- Place a soup pot (or dutch oven) over medium/high heat and add olive oil.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme, and butter. Cook and stir about 6-8 minutes until vegetables begin to soften (I covered with a lid to assist).
- Once the vegetables are tender, pour in chicken stock, add chicken boullion, bay leaves, shredded chicken and cover for another 5 minutes.
- Add the pasta and stir a few times to ensure pasta doesn’t stick to bottom of the pot. Simmer for 20 minutes, taste to make sure pasta is cooked through and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Remove the bay leaves, Add chopped parsley and serve with crackers or fresh baguette.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: soup, chicken noodle, chicken noodle soup