This easy chicken noodle soup recipe is just what the doctor ordered. Using a rotisserie chicken for ease and building the most flavorful base, this chicken noodle soup recipe is perfect for cold weather or when you need some comfort food!
I’ve been eating this soup for over 20 years. My grandma/mom used to make this anytime one of us would be feeling under the weather and it is basically a hug in a bowl. Fast forward, now as an adult, I find myself making this several times a month even when I’m not feeling under the weather.
The base is the most important part of making a super flavorful soup. The onion, celery, carrots, ginger and garlic are the vegetables I utilize. I use a combination of olive oil, a little butter, dried thyme, and chicken bouillon. I used to use the cubes, but I came across this paste version and it’s AMAZING! It gives the broth so much umami (the 5th taste) and dimension, the past absorbs better into the stock than the cubes.
I always use a rotisserie chicken because it’s so much easier and that crispy skin gives the broth so much flavor [even though I end up eating half of it while cutting up the chicken]. This also cuts down on the prep time, since the chicken is already cooked.
I actually cook the noodles in the soup, instead of separately because it soaks up so much delicious flavor that we built with the broth. Because of this, when adding the broth it may seem like too much, but the noodles will soak a lot of it up.
After adding the pasta to the soup, make sure you scrape the bottom of the pot after a few minutes, because they tend to stick.
Once it’s done simmering, you have a cozy delicious chicken noodle soup that is perfect for cold days, days you aren’t feeling well, or days that you just need a great soup! Oddly enough, the leftovers of this chicken noodle soup taste even better the next day.
See below a video of my chicken noodle soup!
Love soup? Here’s other recipes
- Vegetable orzo soup
- Vegan mushroom soup
- Hot Italian sausage white bean soup
- Slow cooker butternut squash soup
Visit my store for useful tools and favorite kitchen items
Affiliate notice: The links above are affiliate links meaning I do make a small profit from your purchases. Your price is not affected by this commission. Thank you for supporting Girl with the Iron CastPrint
Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup with a super flavorful base and uses a rotisserie chicken. This quick soup is delicious and comforting.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded or cubed
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press or minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 1/2 cups carrot, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, sliced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp ‘better than bouillon’ organic chicken paste or 2 bouillon cubes
- 3 Qts low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 8oz of elbow pasta or other
- Handful parsley, chopped
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Serve with crackers or fresh baguette
- Place a soup pot (or dutch oven) over medium/high heat and add olive oil.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, carrots, celery, thyme, and butter. Cook and stir about 6-8 minutes until vegetables begin to soften (I covered with a lid to assist). Add the bouillon paste and stir to combine.
- Once the vegetables are tender, pour in chicken stock, lemon juice, bay leaves, shredded chicken. Allow to come to a gentle boil.
- Once at a light boil, lower the heat to low, add the pasta and stir a few times to ensure pasta doesn’t stick to bottom of the pot. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, taste to make sure pasta is cooked through and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Remove the bay leaves, Add chopped parsley and serve with crackers or fresh baguette.
Keywords: soup, chicken noodle, chicken noodle soup