This dairy-free mushroom soup recipe is all your savory umami dreams in a bowl. By layering different aromatics and mushrooms, this creamy mushroom soup recipe has a depth of flavor that makes every spoon satisfying and comforting.
One thing I’ve learned about mushrooms, is all the liquid they hold inside. Once you start cooking them, they will release liquid so prepping them is important. When I get mushrooms, I never wash them because I do not want to add even more liquid.
Instead, use a paper towel or dish towel to clean your mushrooms. This will ensure that your mushrooms get a nice sear on them instead of just steaming themselves with their released liquids. This is for any mushroom dish, not just this soup.
You can use any combo of mushrooms, but I had baby portobellas on hand. You will want to slice them after cleaning them.
Now to start the soup, add 2 tbsp of olive oil, the mushrooms, fresh thyme, and Salt/Pepper. Allow these to cook for about 10 minutes for the onions to soften and the mushrooms to cook through.
After the mushrooms have cooked, add in the garlic. I didn’t want to add the garlic in the beginning due to the high heat, I didn’t want them to burn. Allow this to cook an additional minute until the garlic is fragrant.
Next we are going to add flour, this will help thicken the soup and make it creamy. You’ll stir in the flour until absorbed.
Now for the liquid part of the soup. I used coconut milk instead of regular milk because the flavors compliment each other so well. I also used a touch of tamari, lemon juice, and vegetable bouillon in the vegetable broth for umami flavor.
Whisk the broth mixture into the floured mushroom mix and keep mixing until the soup comes to a light boil. You want to make sure all the flour cooks/gets absorbed by the broth.
Once the soup is lightly boiling, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes to allow all the flavors to meld together.
Taste the soup and adjust the salt/pepper if necessary. I hope you enjoy this delicious vegan mushroom soup!
Visit my store for useful tools and favorite kitchen items
Affiliate notice: The links above are affiliate links meaning I do make a small profit from your purchases. Your price is not affected by this commission. Thank you for supporting Girl with the Iron Cast
Looking for more soup recipes?
- Vegetable Orzo Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Hot Italian Sausage White Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
Vegan mushroom soup with delicious caramelized mushrooms, aromatics, coconut milk, and flavorful broth.
- 1 lb baby portabello mushrooms, cleaned/sliced (or mushroom of choice)
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Qts vegetable broth
- 1–13.5 can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Tamari
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Better Than Bouillon Vegetable
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 fresh ground black pepper
- In a dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil, diced yellow onion, sliced mushrooms and fresh thyme. Sauté for about 10 minutes until onions have softened and mushrooms have cooked through. Add in the garlic and cook an additional minute, until fragrant.
- While the mushrooms cook, in a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, tamari, vegetable bouillon and coconut milk. Set aside.
- Add the 1/4 cup of flour to the mushroom mixture and stir until the flour is absorbed and no longer seen. Take the coconut milk mixture and slowly whisk into the mushrooms. Add in the vegetable broth and whisk until there are no lumps in the broth. Allow the soup to come to a light boil then reduce the heat to low and allow the flavors to meld for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary and serve.
- If you do not need soup to be vegan you can substitute vegetable broth with chicken broth and also use whole milk instead of coconut milk.
Keywords: Vegan, soup, mushroom soup, coconut milk