Is there any better sound then the sizzle of a fajita coming through a restaurant? Someone get on making that an alarm, cause I would def wake up for that.
These shredded chicken fajitas can be made with my slow cooker or instant pot shredded chicken. This recipe is so versatile and flavorful, it can go in so many things. These fajitas, chicken tacos, chicken enchiladas, burritos, bowls, meal prep, etc! The best part is when you come home after work and your house smells so good.
A classic topping for fajitas is onions and peppers. You can use either a yellow or white onion and as far as bell peppers, you can use whichever colors.
I have a bell pepper hack for easy cutting and to get most of the seeds out all at once. Taking a pairing knife (not pictured above), cut around the top of the bell pepper almost where it goes to curve down, have your knife on a diagonal. Go all the way around, grab and twist the stem, then pull it out!
You should have most of the seeds out and just a few stragglers behind. Then I just slice the bottom of the pepper, cut it into fourths, taking that same pairing knife I cut out any white flesh, then I proceed to cut it into long strips.
You’re going to sauté the bell peppers and onions over medium/high until they begin to soften. Depending on the type of pan it can take 8-10 minutes.
The world is kind of your oyster when it comes to other toppings. I like to make yellow rice and put that on the bottom, followed by the shredded chicken, onions/peppers, cotija cheese, cilantro, hot sauce, and some avocado! It’s up to you.
Visit my store for useful tools and favorite kitchen items
Affiliate notice: The links above are affiliate links meaning I do make a small profit from your purchases. Your price is not affected by this commission. Thank you for supporting Girl with the Iron CastPrint
Shredded chicken fajitas with either slow cooker or instant pot shredded chicken, yellow rice, sautéd peppers & onions, cotija cheese, cilantro, on fluffy soft tortillas.
- 1 1/2lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp dark chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large white or yellow onion, sliced
- 2 large bell peppers, your choice color
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 10 ct soft flour fajita tortillas
- 8 oz Vigo yellow rice (cook according to package)
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 6 oz cotija cheese or mexican shredded cheese
- Hot sauce
- Lime wedges
- 1 avocado sliced (optional)
- Combine all spices in a small bowl and mix. Add chicken broth to slow cooker, then add chicken. Pour half the seasoning in and flip chicken over then add the rest of the seasoning on top of chicken.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Once it’s ready, take two forks and shred chicken. Careful shredding in the crock pot because dish is hot. You can also remove and shred on a cutting board, then add back in.
- In a saucepan, follow the package directions of the yellow rice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 12-in cast iron skillet, over medium/ high heat add 2 tbsp of avocado oil or olive oil. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook until they have softened and are fork tender, 8-10 minutes.
- While the peppers are cooking, place tortillas in the oven to warm up. You can wrap them in foil and put in the oven for 8-10 min or if you want them crispier, carefully place on the oven rack (making sure the ends aren’t hanging over or they will curl) for about 5 minutes.
- Assembly: Take the tortilla and spoon yellow rice on it, add shredded chicken, onions & bell peppers, cheese, cilantro, hot sauce, and optional avocado! Enjoy!
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: fajitas, slow cooker, shredded chicken, mexican food, chicken fajitas, instant pot