Holy guacamole! I’m not going anywhere with that, just finally had the opportunity to say it. This homemade guacamole is made with fresh ingredients and mixed with delicious spices to make the perfect snack or appetizer, I mean who doesn’t love a good guac.
Avocado picking can be stressful, you don’t want to spend all that money on avocado’s to open one up and it’s brown inside. You want it to be firm and give a little bit, but not be mushy or soft. If you need to speed up the process, putting them in paper bags seem to help.
You’re going to carefully cut the avocado in half, remove the seed, and squeeze into the bowl. I save the pits because if I am storing the guacamole, I insert them into the guac and it seems to not brown as quickly. Also, by sealing the top of the guacamole with plastic wrap (literally pressed into the guac so there is no air), that also helps it not brown as quickly.
I add in the basic core ingredients: minced garlic, red onion, tomato, and minced jalapeño.
Did you know that some people think cilantro tastes like soap?! I thought it was crazy the first time I heard it, but I actually looked it up and it’s said to be genetic. I personally LOVE cilantro, but if you are a soapy cilantro person… you can just omit (single tear runs down face).
Now for the good stuff, the spices! Spices are what set guacamole’s apart. I use a combo of dark chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, kosher salt, and fresh ground black pepper. Some may use garlic & onion powder, but we are using the fresh version so no need to overpower.
One last favorite ingredient: lime! The lime juice adds such a nice touch of acid to the guacamole. Once you have all the ingredients in the bowl, I use a whisk to mush everything. You can use a potato masher, a big mortal and pestle, or a fork. During the mashing, i’ll run a silicone spoon around the edges to make sure I didn’t miss any big chunks.
Mash to the consistency you desire, grab some chips, and enjoy! This homemade guacamole is great for parties and perfect for any Mexican meal.
Visit my store for useful tools and favorite kitchen items
Affiliate notice: The links above are affiliate links meaning I do make a small profit from your purchases. Your price is not affected by this commission. Thank you for supporting Girl with the Iron CastPrint
This homemade guacamole combines fresh ingredients and delicious spices for the perfect appetizer!
- 5 avocados, cut in half, seeds removed, and flesh squeezed out (Reserve seeds)
- 1 tomato, stems removed, diced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 small red onion, diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced (about 1 tbsp)
- 1 lime, juiced (2 tbsp)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dark chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients together. Using a mashing utensil, mash the guacamole ingredients until avocados have broken down and to your preferred consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve with chips or on top of your favorite dish!
- Tips for storing:
- Once guacamole is made, insert the seeds you removed into the guacamole mixture. Squeeze some lime juice over the top. Seal the top of the guacamole with plastic wrap, eliminating any air in between the guacamole and the plastic wrap. Store in refrigerator.
- Category: Snack/Appetizer
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: guacamole, avocado, dip, snack, appetizer, party food,