Last Updated on January 28, 2021 by Stephanie
These air fryer buffalo chicken wings are quick, crispy, and SO flavorful. Chicken wings mixed with spices, quickly cooked in the air fryer, the tossed in your favorite buffalo sauce. These air fried chicken wings are the perfect game day food or snack and will go in a flash.
Buying chicken wings
When buying chicken wings, you can buy them already cut or as a whole wing. Pre-cut chicken wings tend to cost more, but you can always cut them yourself at home. When selecting chicken wings you can do flays and drums, or all of one type (I prefer all flats).
Buffalo wing spices
- For the wings you’ll need: buffalo sauce, smoked paprika, granulated garlic (or garlic powder), oregano, and cayenne pepper.
- If you want less heat in your wings, you can omit the cayenne pepper. Place in bowl.
- Mix till all spices are combined
Prepping chicken wings
- Pat your chicken wings dry to remove all the moisture from the skin, this will help them get crispy in the air fryer.
- Add your spices to the chicken wings
- Add 1 tbsp of buffalo sauce to the chicken wings
- Using tongs, toss the chicken wings until they are fully coated in the spices
Air frying chicken wings
There are two types of air fryers: basket and toaster oven style. I have the toaster oven style. With both types, make sure to spray avocado oil on the basket so the chicken wing skin doesn’t stick. Place the chicken wings in one even layer and spaced apart or else they will steam and not get crispy.
Most air fryer’s have a pre-heating function, but if your’s does not, make sure to give it a few minutes at temperature before inserting the wings.
If you have a basket air fryer, cook the wings at 400F for 22 minutes, flipping halfway through. If you have a toaster oven style, cook for 16 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Once the chicken wings are done, immediately put them in a bowl and toss them in buffalo sauce to coat. Doing it while they are hot, will help the wings absorb the buffalo sauce.
Buffalo chicken wings are traditionally served with blue cheese dipping sauce, but you can also serve it with ranch and additional buffalo sauce. You can use store bought sauce, or easily make your own blue cheese sauce with blue cheese crumbles, greek yogurt, lemon juice, and a touch of white vinegar.
Serve with freshly cut carrots and celery on the side of the air fryer buffalo wings. If it is the main meal, you will want to do about a pound per person. If you are entertaining with other foods, expect people to eat about 5 each (just under half a pound).
Reheating chicken wings
Chicken wings are best enjoyed fresh, but if you have leftovers you can reheat them in the air fryer. Heat them in the basket at 375F for about 7 minutes (depending on size). You can add additional sauce after reheating.
Looking for more appetizers?
- Air Fryer Avocado Fries
- Homemade Guacamole
- Crispy Tostones
- Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Jalapeños
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
Made this recipe and loved it? Leave a star rating below!
- 2 lbs chicken wings (see note)
- ⅓ cup + 1 tbsp buffalo sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground cayenne (omit for less spicy)
- Avocado oil spray
Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
- ⅓ cup greek yogurt
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 ½ tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 3 celery stalks, halved lengthwise
- 3 carrots, peeled, quartered lengthwise
- Preheat air fryer to 400F
- Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towel to remove all the moisture from the skin, this will help them get crispy in the air fryer. Place them in a bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the smoked paprika, garlic, oregano, kosher salt and cayenne. Sprinkle over the chicken wings. Add the tbsp of buffalo sauce, using tongs, toss the chicken wings until they are fully coated with the spices.
- Spray basket with avocado oil so the chicken wings do not stick. Place them in one even layer, spaced apart (or else they will steam instead of crisp). You may have to do it in more than one batch depending on the size of your air fryer.
- If you have a basket air fryer, cook the wings for 22 minutes, flipping halfway through. If you have a toaster oven air fryer, cook for 16 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken wings and immediately put them in a bowl and toss with buffalo sauce. Tossing them in the sauce while hot will help them absorb the sauce.
- Serve immediately with blue cheese dip, celery, and carrots.
Blue Cheese Dip
- In a small bowl, place the blue cheese dip ingredients. Whisk together, taste, and adjust lemon and vinegar if necessary. Place in the refrigerator, covered, to cool until ready to use.
- How many chicken wings should I buy? If this is the main meal, you will want to do about a pound per person. If you are entertaining with other foods or as an appetizer, it will be about 5 chicken wings each (about half a pound).
- This recipe also works with all drums, all flats, or a mixture of both
Air frying tips:
- Types of air fryers: basket and toaster oven style. I have the toaster oven style, which cooks the wings faster due to more air circulation.
- Pre-heating air fryer: Most air fryer's have a pre-heating function, but if your's does not, make sure to give it a few minutes at temperature before inserting the wings.
- Prepping the air fryer basket: With both types of air fryers, make sure to spray avocado oil on the basket so the chicken wing skin doesn't stick.
- Spacing: Place the chicken wings in one even layer and spaced apart or else they will steam and not get crispy.
- Chicken wings are best enjoyed fresh, but if you have leftovers you can reheat them in the air fryer. Heat them in the basket at 375F for about 7 minutes (depending on size). You can add additional sauce after reheating.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 832Total Fat: 61gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 35gCholesterol: 193mgSodium: 1039mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 43g
*Note: Nutrition information is an estimate. Values vary based on different brands and ingredients*