Have you ever had avocado fries before? Crunchy panko outside surrounding sliced avocado. Easy to make in the air fryer and oven, these avocado fries are the snack/side dish you didn’t know you needed.
Prepping the avocados
The best way to get evenly slices avocados are to slice down the middle around the seed, twist to open, carefully remove the seed with a knife, and peel the skin. To keep the form, I carefully slide my thumb between the avocado and the skin to gently peel it away. Then you can easily slice the avocado without mashing it.
Set up breading station
Panko breadcrumbs give you that delicious crunch and is my preferred type of breadcrumb. Set up a station with panko bread crumbs, flour, and 2 eggs beaten.
One by one, roll the avocado slice in the flour (give a gently tap to remove excess flour, it should be a light dusting not caked on), then into the egg wash, followed by the panko. I gently press the panko into the avocado. Then repeat!
An air fryer is basically just a convection oven on steroids. It circulates hot air at a high speed resulting in a quicker cook time and crispy outer layer, without having to fry the food.
I placed the avocado fries in the basket, sprayed a little avocado oil over them, and then cooked them at 390F for 7 minutes flipping halfway through. If you want to use the oven, preheat the oven to 425F and spray the baking sheet with avocado spray. Place the avocado slices on the sheet, spray with avocado oil, and bake for 15 minutes until golden.
Once the avocado fries are crispy and golden, carefully remove them and allow to cool for a few minutes. Pair with your favorite dipping sauce! Some of my favorites to use are buffalo ranch, plain ranch, chipotle aioli, or good ol’ hot sauce.
I hope you enjoy these delicious crunchy avocado fries!
Interested in more starters/snacks?
- Crispy Tostones
- Muhammara (Roasted Red Pepper Walnut Dip)
- Baked Coconut Shrimp
- Pickled Vegetables
- Cucumber Salad
- Eggplant Caprese Stack
For the web story version of this recipe, click here!
Made this recipe and loved it? Leave a star rating below!
- In a small dish add the flour, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, and kosher salt. Stir to combine. In another small dish add the egg and beat until frothy. In another dish add the panko breadcrumbs.
- In an assembly line manner, roll the first avocado slice in the flour (give it a light tap to remove excess flour), then submerge it in the egg wash, followed by the panko bread crumbs. I gently push the panko into the avocado to ensure its evenly coated. Repeat with all of the avocado slices.
- Lightly grease the air fryer basket with avocado spray, then place the avocado fries with some space in between, then lightly spray the fries with some avocado oil. Air fry on 390F for 7 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until desired crispiness. Depending on the size of your air fryer basket, will depend on how many batches you have to do. [See note # 3 for oven instructions].
- Slicing avocado: Cut avocado in half and carefully remove the seed. Then gently insert your thumb in between the skin and flesh to peel the skin off. Place avocado flat side down and cut the avocado into slices.
- Favorite types of dipping sauce for this recipe: buffalo ranch, plain ranch, chipotle aioli, or hot sauce.
- Air fryer: Allow air fryer to preheat to 390F, most air fryers do this before you put the food in. If you must do it manually, allow the air fryer to preheat for 4 minutes. Different air fryers can yield different results when it comes to cook time and crispiness of the fries, panko should be golden brown and crisp. May need additional minutes depending on air fryer.
- Oven instructions: Preheat the oven to 425F. Grease baking sheet, place panko breaded avocado fries on baking sheet, spray the top with a little avocado spray. Bake the avocado fries for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until they are golden and crispy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 447Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 314mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 12gSugar: 3gProtein: 9g
*Note: Nutrition information is an estimate. Values vary based on different brands and ingredients*