This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken is so versatile and can be used in SO many dishes. This easy slow cooker shredded chicken recipe takes minimal time to prep and you come home to a great smelling house and perfectly shreddable chicken breast!
I know I’m not the only one who wishes there were more hours in a day. Work, kids, appointments, working out, sleeping, and oh yeah eating… there are so many things to squeeze into 24 hours. If there was a kitchen super hero it would be a slow cooker/crockpot. It’s so nice to be able to throw something in there and it be ready when you get home from work.
This slow cooker shredded chicken recipe works with pretty much any spices. I make a lot of Mexican food and wanted flavors that complimented those dishes. The spices I used are: dark chili powder, ground cumin, dried oregano, smoked paprika, garlic powder, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
Mix the spices up so they are evenly distributed. You can double the recipe and save in an air tight container for later use. I place the chicken breasts into the cup of chicken broth and then I evenly spread half the spices on the chicken, then flip them over and add the rest.
Slow cooker settings
After adding the spices and place the lid onto the slow cooker. You can either set it on the low setting for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours.
Once it’s done, I remove the chicken and place it on a cutting board. Using two forks, I shred the chicken breast. Then return it back into the crockpot and mix with all of the juices!
Shredded chicken recipes
The excess juice helps keep the chicken moist when refrigerating, so make sure to include that in your sealed container. You can microwave to heat the chicken back up.
Made this recipe and loved it? Leave a star rating below!
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl and mix to evenly combine.
- Add chicken broth to slow cooker, then add chicken breasts. Pour half the seasoning over the chicken and then flip over to add the rest of the seasoning on top of chicken.
- Place lid on the slow cooker. Cook on low setting for 8 hours or on high setting for 4 hours.
- Once it’s ready, use tongs to remove chicken and place on a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken breasts. Add the shredded chicken back into the crockpot and stir to combine with all the liquid. Use immediately or store in airtight container for use throughout the week.
- Excess juice helps keep chicken moist when storing.
- In a rush? See my Instant Pot shredded chicken recipe