This slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken is a staple in my household, it’s so versatile and easy. Place your chicken breasts in the crockpot before work, come home to a delicious smelling house, shred with a fork, and you’re ready to go!
I know I’m not the only one who wishes there were more hours in a day. Work, kids, appointments, working out, sleeping, and oh yeah eating… there is so many things to squeeze into 24 hours. If there was a kitchen super hero it would be a slow cooker/crockpot. It’s so nice to be able to throw something in there and it be ready when you get home from work.
It is all in the spice blend. This recipe started with me randomly throwing different spices I had in the cabinet and it really started to elevate the different dishes I would include it in.
Just add the chicken broth, the spices, the chicken breast, then set the slow cooker! You can either set it on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours. Once it’s done, I remove the chicken and place it on a cutting board. Using two forks, I shred the chicken breast. Then return it back into the crockpot and mix with all of the juices!
Things you’ll need: slow cooker/crockpot
Visit my store for useful tools and favorite kitchen items
Affiliate notice: The links above are affiliate links meaning I do make a small profit from your purchases. Your price is not affected by this commission. Thank you for supporting Girl with the Iron CastPrint
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
Juicy, flavorful, shredded chicken made in the slow cooker that is so versatile and can be used in countless dishes.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 4 hrs/8 hrs
- Total Time: 4 hrs/ 8 hrs
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- Category: chicken
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: mexican
- 1 1/2lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp dark chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
- Combine all spices in a small bowl and mix.
- Add chicken broth to slow cooker, then add chicken. Pour half the seasoning in and flip chicken over then add the rest of the seasoning on top of chicken.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Once it’s ready, take two forks and shred chicken. Careful shredding in the crock pot because dish is hot. You can also remove and shred on a cutting board, then add back in.
Keywords: slow cooker shredded chicken, shredded chicken, slow cooker chicken, crockpot chicken, mexican chicken