This romaine salad with lemon dijon vinaigrette is the perfect start to your meal, or a meal by itself! This vinaigrette is so addicting that I have to make double so we don’t fight over the last drops. Did I also mention homemade croutons?
Let’s start with homemade croutons! We all have that old bread lying around (sans mold) that is too hard to enjoy. Perfect time for croutons! I had sourdough bread, but feel free to use whatever bread you have on hand. I cut it into 1 inch pieces and mixed up a little garlic olive oil concoction to flavor that bread up.
Mix the bread pieces and garlic oil mixture in a bowl and spread them out on a baking sheet. Into the oven at 350 for 10 minutes and you have homemade croutons!
The 2nd reason I love this salad dressing (1st being it’s SO good), is that it is made with pantry staples. Olive oil, lemon, garlic, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, and Worcestershire (sauce of the shire).
Lemon hack: slice your lemon like above to avoid the seeds and get a ton of juice out of the smaller sliced piece.
Whisk all the ingredients together and there’s your vinaigrette!
I used romaine in this salad, but feel free to use your green of choice. If using romaine, I slice them into one inch sections.
Toss the salad with the vinaigrette, add the croutons, and shave some fresh parmesan on top. There ya have it, my favorite homemade salad dressing.Print
Romaine Salad with homemade Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette and homemade croutons.
- 2 cups of day old french bread, 1- inch cubed (or bread of choice)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- Pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 head of romaine, wash/dried, cut into 1-inch sections
- 1/4 cup fresh shaven or grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Cut bread into 1 inch cubes and put into a medium bowl. In a small bowl combine and mix the olive oil, 1 clove minced garlic, oregano, black pepper, and parmesan cheese. Pour over the bread, mix to coat the bread with olive oil mixture. Spread onto a baking sheet in an even layer, bake for 10 minutes until bread is crisped. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine vinaigrette ingredients: Red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, 2 cloves minced garlic, fresh lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper. Whisk in the olive oil until vinaigrette is combined.
- Place the sliced romaine leaves into a large bowl, add the vinaigrette and toss the salad to coat the leaves evenly. Serve the salad and garnish with homemade croutons and top with freshly shaven/grated parmesan cheese and fresh ground black pepper.
- If prepping ahead of time, do not add vinaigrette to leaves until you’re ready to serve. You can place vinaigrette into refrigerator and whisk again prior to serving.
Keywords: salad, vinaigrette, croutons, salad dressing