These grilled watermelon and halloumi skewers are the dish of the summer. Caramelized watermelon and crispy halloumi cheese pairs together for the perfect salty and sweet bite.
I grill halloumi all the time, but I’ve never thought of grilling watermelon. It wasn’t until I had grilled watermelon at a small wine bar in Vermont, that made me love it. Grilling the watermelon gives you a delicious caramelization and paired with salty halloumi, they make a great match.
If you’ve made my grilled corn and halloumi salad, you know my love for halloumi cheese. Halloumi is a semi-hard cheese made of goat’s and sheep milk. Because of it’s high melt point, it is amazing grilled or pan seared. Halloumi can be expensive. During the summer, most Trader Joe’s carry it for half the price of usual supermarkets. I cut the halloumi into cubes .
I’m that person at the grocery store picking up all the watermelons and people for sure stare. You want to pick a heavy watermelon because that means it’s juicy and full of water. Another thing you want to look for is a yellow spot, this is where the watermelon was laying on the ground and usually signals that it is ripe. Lastly, give it a slap, you should hear a deep hollow sound. (Now I won’t be the only one getting stared at in the grocery store.)
Watermelons can be dangerous to cut since they are round. Always make sure you are using a sharp knife, I use my big chefs knife. If slippery, you can also use a dish towel to help secure it. I cut it straight down the middle, then put it flat side down and slice. Grab a slice and trim the rind off. Next you’ll cut it into 2 inch cubes to match the halloumi.
I soak my wooden skewers while I am prepping the watermelon and halloumi, so it doesn’t burn while grilling. When skewering, make sure you have the halloumi on the ends, because the watermelon will slip right off the skewer. The halloumi may crack when skewering, if it does, you can still grill the cube off the skewer then attach post grill.
Heat your grill to 400F and make sure your grates are clean and oiled prior, the halloumi likes to stick. Place the skewers and grill about 5-8 min each side. You’re looking for golden brown char marks, if the halloumi is sticking, it’s not ready to flip yet. Flipping the skewers can get a bit treacherous, so make sure you have tongs to hold the skewer and a spatula to slide under to help flip.
Once grilled, allow the halloumi to cool for 5 minutes before enjoying. Garnish with fresh mint and basil.
Made this recipe and loved it? Leave a star rating below!
- Small watermelon (see note #1), cut into 2-inch pieces, you'll need 15 pieces
- 2- 8.8 ounce packs of Halloumi cheese, cut into 2 inch pieces, 16 pieces
- Fresh mint leaves
- Fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Ensure your grill is cleaned and grates oiled. Preheat grill to 400F.
- If using wooden skewers, soak them prior to assembling so they do not burn on the grill. Starting with the halloumi cheese, gently skewer the watermelon and halloumi. Place halloumi on the outsides, watermelon slips off easily when grilling.
- Place skewers flat on the grill and grill for about 5-8 minutes before flipping to other side. You’re looking for golden brown char marks on the halloumi. If the halloumi is sticking, it’s not ready to flip yet. To assist flipping, use tongs to hold the skewer and a spatula to slide under the watermelon and cheese to help flip.
- Remove from grill and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and freshly chopped basil.
- Choosing a watermelon: Pick a heavy watermelon because that means it’s juicy and full of water. Look for a yellow spot, this is where the watermelon was laying on the ground and usually signals that it is ripe. Lastly, give it a slap, you should hear a deep hollow sound.
- Cutting watermelon tips: Always make sure you are using a sharp knife, I use a big chefs knife. You can use a dish towel to help secure it if slippery. I cut it straight down the middle, then put it flat side down and slice. Grab a slice and trim the rind off. Then proceed to cube.
- If halloumi breaks while skewering, you can grill that cube separately on the grill.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 784mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 28g
*Note: Nutrition information is an estimate. Values vary based on different brands and ingredients*