This grilled corn and halloumi cheese salad with avocado is the perfect side dish for your summer BBQ’s! Nothing beats a fresh grilled summer salad.
Grilling corn is a highly debated subject. Everyone has their own “perfect” way to grill corn. Some people are team husk and some are team naked corn, I’m somewhere in between. I personally don’t like grilling corn in the husk because you don’t get that char on the corn and peeling hot husks is not my idea of fun.
I start by removing the husks and silk. Then I brush olive oil onto the corn, followed by salt and pepper. Wrap it up in foil and I put it on the grill for 15 minutes, this allows the corn to “steam” and get tender. I then remove the corn from the foil and place it directly on the grill to char for about 10 minutes, turning is frequently to get all sides.
You end up with tender corn that also has a nice char/color. This is my favorite way to grill corn on the cob.
Using a sharp knife (carefully of course), I cut the kernels off the cob. You can also use a corn tool which removes the kernels safely and more precisely.
Now for the halloumi cheese! If you have never had this cheese, you are in for a treat! It’s a brined cheese made out of a combo of sheeps, goat, and sometimes cow milk. Do not eat it raw, grill it or fry it! I slice it up and grill it on each side for about 5-10 min until you achieve grill marks.
After it’s done grilling, I eat about 2 whole pieces because I have no self control and then I dice up the rest for the salad. Halloumi is salty due to the brine, so if you use it in a dish be mindful of adding additional salt.
The final main ingredient is freshly diced avocado. I cut the avocado in half, then peel the skin off (if the skin doesn’t easily peel off, it’s probably not ripe). Once the skin is off I lay it flat, cut it horizontally in half, then dice. See the image above. This will give you mostly uniform pieces for the salad.
Assembling The Salad
Now that you have your grilled corn, grilled halloumi cheese, and diced avocado, I add some roughly chopped cilantro for a fresh note and fresh lime juice. Remember that halloumi is salty and we pre-salted the corn, so I didn’t add more salt. I added some fresh ground black pepper and that’s it.
Mix all the ingredients together and give it a taste, you can adjust seasoning if necessary or add more lime juice. This grilled corn and halloumi salad is simple, flavorful, and fresh perfect for your summer BBQ’s!
Looking for other salad recipes?
- Mexican Garden Chicken Salad
- Asian Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing
- Greek Orzo Pasta Salad
- Salad with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette
- Curry Chicken Salad
- Shaved Brussels Sprout Sala
- Preheat your grill to medium.
- Corn: Shuck corn and remove silk. Evenly brush the olive oil onto each piece of corn and discard the excess. Sprinkle salt/pepper over the corn, and wrap all 4 pieces in aluminum foil. Place on the grill for 15 minutes. Remove from foil, place onto the grill, and cook an additional 10 minutes frequently rotating, until a nice char is achieved. Carefully cut the kernels off the cob using a knife or a corn peeler, add to a large bowl and set aside.
- Halloumi cheese: While the corn cooks, you can use the other half to cook the halloumi. Place the sliced cheese directly on the grill, cook for about 3-4 minutes each until golden and slightly charred on each side. Remove from the grill, dice, and add to the bowl with corn.
- In the bowl with the grilled corn and halloumi, add the diced avocado, roughly chopped cilantro, fresh lime juice. Mix to combine and taste, can add fresh ground black pepper to finish.
- You can use your own preferred way of grilling corn.
- Halloumi is naturally salty, be aware of adding extra salt to this dish
- Be aware the avocado may brown when storing. To assist in preserving, seal the top of the dish with plastic wrap, eliminating any air in between the ingredients and the plastic wrap.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 514Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 477mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 11gSugar: 9gProtein: 15g
*Note: Nutrition information is an estimate. Values vary based on different brands and ingredients*