This garlic roasted chicken needs to be added to your dinner lineup ASAP. The roasted garlic and shallots paired with white wine cream sauce elevate simple chicken breast into a delicious, flavorful meal.
If you have been following my blog, it’s no secret that I love garlic. I brought this love to a new level with this dish. If you’re bored and want to count the cloves of garlic above, if not i’ll just tell you….30. Excessive? Maybe, but this dish will truly become one of your favorites.
I started with searing my chicken breast in my cast iron skillet. You can use chicken thighs and get that super crispy skin, which would be great too. I seared them about 6 minutes on each side with just salt and pepper. All the flavor is going to come from our garlic, shallots, and sauce.
After removing the chicken breast, we are going to toast up the garlic and shallots. I wanted to get the garlic and shallots going by cooking them for about 4-5 minutes, pushing them around to get some of the chicken flavor.
After slightly cooking the garlic/shallots, spoon them over your chicken breasts.
Next up is the sauce. I first poured in dry white wine and deglazed the pan for about 5 minutes or until the liquid was reduced by half. Take this time to scrape up the stuck on bits in the skillet, because that’s where all the flavor is. [Side note: it’s so interesting to smell the intense alcohol scent in the steam coming off of the skillet from the alcohol cooking out]. Then you’re going to add in chicken broth, dried rosemary, crushed red pepper flakes, and a touch of cream.
Once it comes to a light boil, reduce the heat for 2 minutes then pour over the chicken. Add fresh thyme sprigs on top and pop it in the oven for 35 minutes.
When the chicken is done you’re left with juicy chicken surrounded by roasted garlic and a creamy sauce.
You can serve this over pasta, paired with rice/veggies. I served it with risotto and asparagus on the side. When you serve it, make sure to spoon the sauce over the chicken, that’s the best part!
Utilize the roasted garlic cloves and sweet shallots with each bite. Enjoy!Print
Juicy chicken breast surrounded by roasted garlic and shallots in a white wine cream sauce.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast (or can use chicken thighs with skin)
- 30 cloves of garlic, peeled (3 heads)
- 3 shallots, peeled and quartered
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (125 ml mini bottle)
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves + 4 sprigs
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- Salt & fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper on each side. In a large cast iron skillet over medium/high heat, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of butter. Sear chicken breast about 6 minutes on each side. Transfer to baking dish.
- Lower the heat to medium and add shallots, garlic, and 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, remove and spoon over chicken in baking dish. Add white wine to skillet and allow pan to deglaze for about 5 minutes or until liquid has reduced by half. Add in chicken broth, 1 tbsp butter, rosemary, red pepper flakes, and cream. Allow to come to a light boil, and reduce to simmer. Allow to simmer for 2 minutes, then carefully pour over the chicken.
- Add fresh thyme sprigs over the top and place into the oven. Bake for 35 minutes until chicken is fully cooked through. Serve over pasta, or rice, or your favorite vegetables. Spoon sauce over chicken. Enjoy!
Keywords: Chicken, chicken dinner, baked chicken, garlic chicken