Yes, this dish has 30 cloves of garlic in it. Yes, this garlic roasted chicken will be your new favorite dinner. This garlic roasted chicken recipe is a one skillet recipe with tender juicy chicken breast surrounded by a creamy garlic sauce. Nervous about so much garlic? Don’t be! When garlic is roasted in the oven, it mellows out and takes on a sweet velvety texture.
If you have been following my blog, it’s no secret that I love garlic. I brought this love to a new level with this dish. If you’re bored and want to count the cloves of garlic above, if not i’ll just tell you….30. Excessive? NAH! Trust me on this one. When garlic is roasted in the oven it actually takes on a sweet velvety texture.
Cooking the chicken
I started with searing my chicken breast in my cast iron skillet. You can use chicken thighs and get that super crispy skin, which would be great too. I seared them about 4 minutes on each side with just salt and pepper. All the flavor is going to come from our garlic, shallots, and sauce.
Remove the chicken and set it aside. Now we are going to get a nice toast on the garlic/shallots. In the same skillet lower the heat to medium, add a tbsp of butter, garlic, shallots, and fresh thyme. Push the ingredients around for about 4 minutes until the garlic and shallots begin to get some color on them.
After slightly cooking the garlic/shallots, add in the white wine and allow the skillet to deglaze for about 4 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by half. This is going to pull delicious garlic flavor into the sauce and soak up the chicken flavor as well.
Take this time to scrape up the stuck on bits in the skillet, because that’s where all the flavor is. Then you’re going to add in chicken broth, dried rosemary, crushed red pepper flakes, and a touch of cream. Allow it to come to a boil then turn the heat off.
Add the chicken back into the skillet, add fresh thyme sprigs on top and pop it in the oven. The cook time depends on the thickness of your chicken breast’s. These took 25 minutes until they were done, but just ensure that the internal temperature is 165 degrees F using a meat thermometer.
When the chicken is done, it’s juicy, tender, and surrounded by a creamy garlic sauce.
You can serve this over pasta, paired with rice/veggies. I served it with rice and a green on the side. When you serve it, make sure to spoon the sauce over the chicken, that’s the best part!
Utilize the soft roasted garlic cloves and sweet shallots with each bite. Enjoy!
Love one skillet chicken meals? Try my chicken saltimbocca, lemony chicken and asparagus, tuscan chicken with tortellini, chicken milanese, or chorizo and chicken paella.
For the web story version of this recipe, click here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Leave a star rating below!
Garlic Roasted Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or use chicken thighs with skin
- 30 cloves garlic peeled (3 heads)
- 3 shallots peeled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup dry white wine 125 ml mini bottle
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves + 4 sprigs
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper on each side. In a large cast iron skillet over medium/high heat, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of butter. Sear chicken breast about 4 minutes on each side or until a nice golden color is achieved. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- Lower the heat to medium and add 1 tbsp butter, shallots, garlic, and 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add white wine to skillet and allow pan to deglaze for about 5 minutes or until liquid has reduced by half. Add in chicken broth, 1 tbsp butter, rosemary, red pepper flakes, and cream. Allow to come to a light boil for 2 minutes then turn the heat off.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet and top with fresh thyme sprigs,then place into the oven. Bake for 25 minutes until chicken is fully cooked through with an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Serve over pasta, or rice, or your favorite vegetables. Spoon sauce over chicken. Enjoy!
- Cooking time for chicken varies on thickness, make sure internal temperature is 165 degrees F
Beck & Bulow
These were super yummie! I actually marinated them overnight, as I had started the recipe but something came up and i couldn’t finish cooking them. That gave them so much flavour.
I’m so glad the marinating longer turned out even better!! I’ll try that next time!
Can the wine be replaced with another liquid (non-alcoholic)?
Hi Michelle, you can just use more broth instead of the wine.
OMGOSH!!! This is seriously amazing!!! My husband and son ate everything! They kept saying how good this is and have begged me to make this every week! Lol. They never say that! I served this over plain rice with a side salad and King’s Hawaiian Rolls. The salad and rolls were bypassed 😁 Thank you for sharing!
I’m an admitted “garlic-holic”! After making this dish, I’m no longer skeptical when it comes to preparing recipes requiring large amounts of garlic. A delicious and easy to prepare meal! And the taste of the sauce made me want to say that “I’d put that s**t on everything!”
Joseph I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe! I know it seems ridiculous peeling all that garlic, but it pays off in the end!
Scanning posts and just as I was reading this recipe friends dropped by for dinner. Reading through I realized I had ALL THE INGREDIENTS in my pantry and fridge. Crossed my fingers and made this. GOOD FREAKING LORD this was incredible! Easy great presentation and SO DELICIOUS I now have requests to make this for future guests!
Thank you thank you for the share. Subscribing immediately to your newsletter
Can this be done in a Dutch oven instead of a cast iron pan?
Yes of course, any pan that can be transferred into an oven! I hope you enjoy
OMG! This was amazing! I followed the recipe exactly and served it over Jasmine Rice. So good! I wouldn’t change a thing.
This chicken is amazing! My family loved it!
I’m so glad you all loved it Jen!
Thanks for the recipe, I made it and it was delicious!