Yes, this dish has 30 cloves of garlic in it. Yes, this garlic roasted chicken will be your new favorite dinner. This garlic roasted chicken recipe is a one skillet recipe with tender juicy chicken breast surrounded by a creamy garlic sauce. Nervous about so much garlic? Don’t be! When garlic is roasted in the oven, it mellows out and takes on a sweet velvety texture.
If you have been following my blog, it’s no secret that I love garlic. I brought this love to a new level with this dish. If you’re bored and want to count the cloves of garlic above, if not i’ll just tell you….30. Excessive? NAH! Trust me on this one. When garlic is roasted in the oven it actually takes on a sweet velvety texture.
Cooking the chicken
I started with searing my chicken breast in my cast iron skillet. You can use chicken thighs and get that super crispy skin, which would be great too. I seared them about 4 minutes on each side with just salt and pepper. All the flavor is going to come from our garlic, shallots, and sauce.
Remove the chicken and set it aside. Now we are going to get a nice toast on the garlic/shallots. In the same skillet lower the heat to medium, add a tbsp of butter, garlic, shallots, and fresh thyme. Push the ingredients around for about 4 minutes until the garlic and shallots begin to get some color on them.
After slightly cooking the garlic/shallots, add in the white wine and allow the skillet to deglaze for about 4 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by half. This is going to pull delicious garlic flavor into the sauce and soak up the chicken flavor as well.
Take this time to scrape up the stuck on bits in the skillet, because that’s where all the flavor is. Then you’re going to add in chicken broth, dried rosemary, crushed red pepper flakes, and a touch of cream. Allow it to come to a boil then turn the heat off.
Add the chicken back into the skillet, add fresh thyme sprigs on top and pop it in the oven. The cook time depends on the thickness of your chicken breast’s. These took 25 minutes until they were done, but just ensure that the internal temperature is 165 degrees F using a meat thermometer.
When the chicken is done, it’s juicy, tender, and surrounded by a creamy garlic sauce.
You can serve this over pasta, paired with rice/veggies. I served it with rice and a green on the side. When you serve it, make sure to spoon the sauce over the chicken, that’s the best part!
Utilize the soft roasted garlic cloves and sweet shallots with each bite. Enjoy!
Visit my store for useful tools and favorite kitchen items
Affiliate notice: The links above are affiliate links meaning I do make a small profit from your purchases. Your price is not affected by this commission. Thank you for supporting Girl with the Iron CastPrint
This one skillet juicy chicken breast, surrounded by roasted garlic and shallots in a white wine cream sauce.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast (or can use chicken thighs with skin)
- 30 cloves of garlic, peeled (3 heads)
- 3 shallots, peeled and quartered
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (125 ml mini bottle)
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves + 4 sprigs
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- Salt & fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper on each side. In a large cast iron skillet over medium/high heat, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of butter. Sear chicken breast about 4 minutes on each side or until a nice golden color is achieved. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- Lower the heat to medium and add 1 tbsp butter, shallots, garlic, and 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add white wine to skillet and allow pan to deglaze for about 5 minutes or until liquid has reduced by half. Add in chicken broth, 1 tbsp butter, rosemary, red pepper flakes, and cream. Allow to come to a light boil for 2 minutes then turn the heat off.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet and top with fresh thyme sprigs,then place into the oven. Bake for 25 minutes until chicken is fully cooked through with an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Serve over pasta, or rice, or your favorite vegetables. Spoon sauce over chicken. Enjoy!
- Cooking time for chicken varies on thickness, make sure internal temperature is 165 degrees F
Keywords: roasted garlic chicken, one skillet chicken, garlic cream sauce, cast iron skillet