This easy and quick cold cucumber salad recipe is perfect for lunch, pot lucks, BBQ’s, and more!
Types of cucumbers
Did you know there are SO many types of cucumbers? The most common are: Armenian, Persian, English, and garden cucumbers. Any of those cucumbers will work in this recipe.
Armenian, Persian, and English cucumbers all have thin skin so you actually don’t have to peel them. I however peel them, but you can make that call. If you get garden cucumbers, they have a thick skin and sometimes waxed so peel those.
I used a mandoline to slice the cucumbers and get a consistent thickness. You can also just use a. knife to slice them. Cucumbers are full of water, so I like to draw some of the liquid out. Salt the cucumbers and let them sweat for thirty minutes in the fridge.
After the 30 minutes, I drain the cucumbers in a colander then use a paper towel to pat them dry. This process will keep the cucumbers from releasing a ton of water into the marinade we are going to be making.
Everyone’s palate is different so this recipe is great, because you can customize it to your liking. I use a combination of white wine vinegar, olive oil, honey, freshly ground black pepper, and herbs.
The honey is used to bring a subtle sweetness and offset the vinegar. As far as herbs, I recommend either used fresh dill or fresh parsley.
Storing cucumber salad
The cucumber salad can be enjoyed right away, or consumed within three days depending on. the type of cucumber used some will soften much faster and the dish is best enjoyed with cucumbers still crunchy.
I hope you enjoy this delicious and refreshing cucumber salad!
Love cold refreshing dishes?
- Check out my Greek orzo pasta salad!
Things you’ll need:
Visit my store for useful tools and favorite kitchen items
Affiliate notice: The links above are affiliate links meaning I do make a small profit from your purchases. Your price is not affected by this commission. Thank you for supporting Girl with the Iron CastPrint
This cold and refreshing cucumber salad is the perfect snack or side on a warm day!
- 3 english cucumbers, thinly sliced on mandoline (skin on or off depending on preference)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar [see note]
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh dill or parsley, chopped, to taste
- In a large bowl, add sliced cucumbers, add kosher salt, and toss cucumbers until fully coated with salt. Cover and place in fridge for 30 minutes to draw excess water out. Remove from fridge, drain in a colander, and use a paper towel to dry cucumbers off.
- Wipe bowl clean of excess moisture, whisk in the vinegar, oil, honey, and black pepper. Add the cucumbers and fresh herbs. Toss until cucumbers are fully coated. Serve right away, or place in the fridge for up to three days or until cucumbers are no longer crunchy.
- Ratio’s of vinegar to sweetness may vary due to peoples personal preference. Once combined with cucumbers, you can adjust to be more sweet or more tart.
Keywords: cucumber salad, salad, cucumber