This baked chicken parmesan recipe is everything you love about the cheesy saucy dish. but healthier! This version still gives you that crispy coating on the chicken, but it’s baked not pan fried. An easy healthy chicken parm recipe for the whole family.
I always start with pounding out my chicken breast to get it evenly flat or you can use chicken cutlets which are already thin. If you lay plastic wrap on top you can keep the juices from making a mess.
Now for the breading. I mentioned before that although these are baked, we still get that crunchy coating; this is by using panko breadcrumbs instead of regular fine breadcrumbs. Panko breadcrumbs are typically used in Japanese cooking when frying foods to get that crunchy coating, it has the same effect baking. They have an “Italian Panko” breading which has herbs mixed into it already.
I dip the cutlet in the flour first on both sides, this will allow the egg to stick better, which will allow the breadcrumbs to stick better. Slightly wiggle off the excess flour, then dip both sides into the whisked eggs. Then place into the breadcrumbs, make sure you press the bread crumbs down and get all the nooks and crannies. Place it on the baking sheet and repeat with other chicken breasts. Put into the oven.
After you have baked the chicken on one side for 15 minutes, flip it over and bake an additional 10 minutes. Remove and add red sauce and the cheese. I use arrabbiata sauce because it packs that extra flavor and a little spice to amp up the dish.
You can use whatever cheese you want. I know it’s called chicken parmesan, but I actually put provolone on it above. I’ve done different cheese’s before. If you use fresh mozzarella be careful of the extra moisture in the cheese.
I put it on low broil until the cheese is brown and bubbling. If I’m serving it as a sandwich, I won’t add the extra red sauce and just bake it on the sheet pan. For the full experience you should 100% put it on my homemade garlic bread and garnish with fresh basil. See the picture below [#drool].
If you want to serve it over fresh pasta, I utilize my rectangular baking dish and when I go to put the cheese on, I will surround the crispy chicken with sauce so that heats up while the cheese broils and gets crispy.
The world is your oyster with this chicken parmesan recipe. Make it into a sandwich, serve it with some pasta, eat it with a side of your choice!
Visit my store for useful tools and favorite kitchen items
Affiliate notice: The links above are affiliate links meaning I do make a small profit from your purchases. Your price is not affected by this commission. Thank you for supporting Girl with the Iron CastPrint
Crispy baked chicken parmesan made with panko breadcrumbs to ensure crispiness and baked in the oven instead of fried!
- 4 individual chicken breast, pounded thin or chicken cutlets
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 8oz Italian Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 jar (24 oz) Arrabbiata sauce
- Sliced or grated cheese of choice (parmesan, provolone, mozzarella)
- Fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Optional: French baguette or sourdough
- My homemade Garlic Bread recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Prepare the garlic bread (can skip if not making as a side dish or to use as chicken parm sandwich)
- Pound chicken breast to even thickness. In three separate containers add the flour, panko breadcrumbs, and beaten eggs. Take the chicken breast and place it in the flour and coat both sides, give it a small shake to release excess. Next, dip both sides into the egg mixture and then place into the bread crumbs. Make sure to press the breadcrumbs down into the chicken and get the nooks and crannies on both sides. Place onto a greased baking sheet and repeat with remaining chicken breast.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes then remove from the oven and flip over, then return back into the oven for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spoon some arrabbiata sauce onto the center of each chicken cutlet. Place a slice of cheese on top of each one. [See note below for warming additional red sauce] Return back to oven and low broil for 5 minutes on the top rack or until cheese is brown and bubbling. Remove from oven and top with fresh basil.
- Ways to serve: over fresh pasta, as a sandwich using my garlic bread recipe, or serve the garlic bread on the side.
- Warm additional sauce on the side for dipping/pasta sauce -or- you can transfer cutlets (when it’s time to add the sauce and cheese) to a rectangular baking dish and surround them with more sauce to heat up while the cheese melts. Do not do this while chicken is on the sheet pan because its thin and will burn the sauce
Keywords: chicken parmesan, chicken parm, chicken parm sandwich, garlic bread