This tuscan chicken with tortellini dish has juicy pan seared chicken breast, surrounded by cheese tortellini in a creamy sun-dried tomato and spinach sauce. An easy and quick 30 minute family dinner.
Prepare the chicken
Keeping the chicken breast simple, kosher salt & fresh ground pepper, and get a nice sear on each side. You can also substitute chicken thighs and get that crispy skin.
I feel not all sun-dried tomatoes are created equal. I have taste tested many different brands, and I always go back to the same one. I use the Trader Joe’s julienned sun dried tomatoes in oil and they are the best. I actually substituted other sun dried tomatoes before and I noticed the difference in taste.
Once the spinach was just wilted, I added the chicken broth and some heavy cream. When the cream mixes with the garlic, the olive oil released from the sun dried tomatoes, you get a flavorful sauce that’s so great to pour on top when serving.
As far as the tortellini, I used the 3 cheese Trader Joe’s tortellini which works well with the dish. Any cheese based tortellini should work out, or if you’re feeling extra ‘spinach-y’ you can do the spinach and cheese tortellini.
This dinner is quick, easy, and full of flavor. Perfect for a family meal. See the cooking video below.
Other great pasta dishes:
- Creamy Pesto Pasta
- Stuffed Pasta Shells
- French Onion Pasta Bake
- Roasted Eggplant and Bell Pepper Pasta
- Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
Made this recipe and loved it? Leave a star rating below!
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts (or chicken thighs), pound to even thickness
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Bag of spinach (6oz)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup of sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained + 1 tbsp of the oil (used: Trader Joe’s Julienned in olive oil)
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or milk)
- 8 ounces 3 cheese tortellini (Trader Joe's)
- Handful of parsley, chopped for garnish
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Cook tortellini according to al dente package instructions, cover and set aside
- Season chicken breast on both sides with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium/high heat, add 2 tbsp of oil and add chicken breast. Cook about 5-7 min each side (depending on thickness) until browned and cooked through. Remove from pan, cover, and set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and 1 tbsp of sun dried tomato oil to the pan and sauté for 1 min. Add in the spinach and cook another 2-3 min until it begins to wilt. Add chicken broth and stir then add heavy cream and stir another 2-4 min until liquid is reduced slightly and creamy.
- Add tortellini and chicken to pan, stir to coat, and allow to cook for a minute to bring tortellini back to temperature. Top with parsley and serve, don’t forget to spoon some sauce over the top!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.