This tuscan chicken with tortellini dish has juicy pan seared chicken breast, surrounded by cheese tortellini in a creamy sun-dried tomato and spinach sauce. An easy and quick 30 minute family dinner.
Prepare the chicken
Keeping the chicken breast simple, kosher salt & fresh ground pepper, and get a nice sear on each side. You can also substitute chicken thighs and get that crispy skin.
I feel not all sun-dried tomatoes are created equal. I have taste tested many different brands, and I always go back to the same one. I use the Trader Joe’s julienned sun dried tomatoes in oil and they are the best. I actually substituted other sun dried tomatoes before and I noticed the difference in taste.
Once the spinach was just wilted, I added the chicken broth and some heavy cream. When the cream mixes with the garlic, the olive oil released from the sun dried tomatoes, you get a flavorful sauce that’s so great to pour on top when serving.
As far as the tortellini, I used the 3 cheese Trader Joe’s tortellini which works well with the dish. Any cheese based tortellini should work out, or if you’re feeling extra ‘spinach-y’ you can do the spinach and cheese tortellini.
This dinner is quick, easy, and full of flavor. Perfect for a family meal. See the cooking video below.
Other great pasta dishes:
- Creamy Pesto Pasta
- Stuffed Pasta Shells
- French Onion Pasta Bake
- Roasted Eggplant and Bell Pepper Pasta
- Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
Made this recipe and loved it? Leave a star rating below!
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts (or chicken thighs), pound to even thickness
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Bag of spinach (6oz)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup of sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained + 1 tbsp of the oil (used: Trader Joe’s Julienned in olive oil)
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream (or milk)
- 8 ounces 3 cheese tortellini (Trader Joe's)
- Handful of parsley, chopped for garnish
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Cook tortellini according to al dente package instructions, cover and set aside
- Season chicken breast on both sides with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium/high heat, add 2 tbsp of oil and add chicken breast. Cook about 5-7 min each side (depending on thickness) until browned and cooked through. Remove from pan, cover, and set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and 1 tbsp of sun dried tomato oil to the pan and sauté for 1 min. Add in the spinach and cook another 2-3 min until it begins to wilt. Add chicken broth and stir then add heavy cream and stir another 2-4 min until liquid is reduced slightly and creamy.
- Add tortellini and chicken to pan, stir to coat, and allow to cook for a minute to bring tortellini back to temperature. Top with parsley and serve, don’t forget to spoon some sauce over the top!