This red curry chicken is both spicy and sweet, in a delicious coconut broth, it will make your taste buds sing.
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced thin into 2 inch long pieces
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt + more to taste
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp + 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced (1/3 cup)
- 2 inch fresh ginger, peeled, and minced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 bell peppers (color of choice), seeda and stem removed, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (13.5oz)
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets, trimmed to bite size pieces
- 2 sliced chiles (serrano or jalapeño)
- 1 cup jasmine rice, cooked to package instructions
- Garnish: fresh basil and cilantro leaves
- Prepare rice according to package
- In a cast iron skillet over medium/high heat, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and add sliced chicken. Season with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, sear each side for 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Remove from skillet and set aside (chicken will finish cooking in the broth).
- Lower the heat to medium, add 2 tbsp of olive oil and the yellow onion. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add in the minced ginger and garlic and sauté for 1 more minute until garlic is fragrant. Add in 2 tbsp of red curry paste and stir to combine ingredients. Add in the coconut milk, fish sauce, and coconut sugar and stir to combine. Add in the chicken, the bell peppers, and half of the chiles [see note]. Cover with lid and lower the heat, simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the broth simmers, place broccoli in a microwave safe bowl and fill with 1/2 inch of water. Place a paper towel on top and microwave for 3 minutes. Broccoli should be bright green and steamed. Drain.
- Once broth is done simmering, add in the broccoli, stir to combine and taste. Add in more kosher salt or fresh ground black pepper if desired. Garnish with leftover chiles, fresh basil, and fresh cilantro. Serve over the white rice.
- If you don’t want the broth spicy, do not add in the chiles until the end when garnishing.
- When storing, store the rice and the curry in separate containers
- Category: Curry
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: red curry, red curry chicken, thai curry, coconut curry