These 3 cheese and hot Italian sausage stuffed zucchini rolls is perfect when you want comfort food, but also want low carb!
- 3 large zucchinis, sliced into thin ribbons with mandoline
- 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
- 3/4 lb hot Italian sausage, (if in link form, remove skin)
- 6 oz bag fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz skim milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup + 1 cup shredded skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2+ 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped + more for garnish
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4.5 oz jar Arrabbiata sauce
- Using a mandoline, carefully slice the zucchini long ways into long ribbons. Grab a baking sheet, line with paper towels and lay the zucchini ribbons down flat next to each other. Sprinkle the 1/2 tbsp of kosher salt over the zucchini to draw the moisture out. Place additional paper towels on top, then weigh down with another baking sheet.
- While the zucchini is prepping, take a large skillet and place over medium high heat. Cook the hot Italian sausage fully through, breaking it up into small pieces. Once it is fully cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside in a large bowl. Lower the heat to medium, add 2 tbsp olive oil, add the minced garlic, and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add in the roughly chopped spinach and sauté until it is wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and add to large bowl with sausage inside.
- In the large bowl add ingredients: ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, parmesan, egg, 1/4 cup fresh basil, and crushed red pepper flakes. Mix until fully combined.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pour half the jar of arrabbiata sauce into the bottom of the skillet or baking dish and spread evenly. Remove paper towels from zucchini and wipe away any leftover water. Take one spoon of the mix and spread it evenly onto the zucchini ribbon. Sprinkle a few shreds of mozzarella and then roll the zucchini, using your fingers to help keep the stuffing in. Place the roll into the skillet/dish with the opening of the flap against the wall of the dish to keep it from unraveling. Repeat until skillet is full with the rolls.
- Using a spoon, spoon more arrabbiata sauce in between the rolls, then top with the remaining 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. If you want the top more browned and bubbly you can broil for a few minutes. Remove from oven, top with fresh basil and serve!
- If you skip the salting of the zucchini, the dish will end up very watery.
- To make vegetarian, remove sausage from the recipe.
- Prep time is chopping of ingredients, prepping and rolling zucchini. Cook time is for the active cooking of the sausage, spinach, and the baking of the dish in the oven.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: zucchini rolls, stuffed zucchini, three cheese, hot Italian sausage, low carb, gluten free