These spinach and cheese stuffed shells are a cheese lovers dream! With 3 cheeses, spinach, and delicious aromatics, this is the perfect vegetarian family meal.
- 1–12oz box Barilla jumbo shells
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 10oz bag fresh spinach leaves, roughly-chopped
- 12 oz skim-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded skim-milk mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped, & more for garnish
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 jar (24oz) of arrabbiata sauce or any red sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large pot cook jumbo shells according to package instruction to al dente (don’t over cook or they will break when filling)
- In a skillet heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium high heat, add garlic and cook till fragrant about a minute. Add in chopped spinach, fresh ground pepper, salt, and sauté till spinach begins to wilt. About 2-3 min.
- In a large bowl add spinach mixture, cheeses, egg, basil, red pepper flakes and mix together.
- In a glass baking dish spread red sauce on the bottom evenly
- Using a ziplock bag as a piping bag or a spoon, stuff all the shells with mixture, top with remaining Parmesan
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and low broil until cheese begins to bubble and brown. Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
- When boiling the pasta shells, make sure you do not overcook or they will break when filling. Cook pasta to al dente and they will finish cooking once in the oven.
- To fill the shells you can use a spoon, but it may get messy. I took a gallon sized ziplock bag and put all the filling inside and cut a hole to mimic a piping bag. This made filling the shells less messy.
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: stuffed shells, spinach, ricotta, italian