These southwest stuffed poblano peppers are a a party in a pepper! Ground beef, corn, black beans, with a chipotle sauce. The perfect low carb dinner dish!
- 8 large poblano peppers, cut 1/4 off the top lengthwise, remove/discard stem and seeds, and dice the lengthwise pieces cut off the top (about 1/4 cup) [See Note]
- 1 pound ground sirloin or ground chuck
- 1 tbsp + 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced (1/3 cup)
- 15 oz can of black beans, drained
- 15oz can of yellow corn, drained
- 12oz can chipotles in adobo sauce, blended or chopped by hand
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup Mexican shredded cheese
- Crumbled cotija cheese
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place cut poblano peppers into a greased baking dish, drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil over the peppers. Roast in oven for 10-15 minutes until they begin to soften. Remove from oven and set aside. Once removed, lower the heat to 375 F.
- While peppers are roasting, in a large dutch oven or high walled skillet. Add the ground beef over medium high heat. Add in the ground cumin, smoked paprika, kosher salt, and black pepper. Cook the beef fully through. Using a slotted spoon, remove the cooked ground beef and set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium, add in the 2 tbsp of olive oil, the diced onion, and diced poblano peppers. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onion and pepper begin to soften. Add the ground beef, corn, black beans, and chipotles in adobo sauce. Stir all the contents and cook for 2-3 minutes for the flavors to meld. Give the mixture a taste, adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Using a spoon, carefully spoon the beef stuffing into the peppers. Top with the shredded Mexican cheese, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove foil. Garnish with crumbled cotija cheese and freshly chopped cilantro.
- For cutting poblano pepper technique, see blog post.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Southwest
Keywords: stuffed poblano peppers, texmex, southwestern, ground beef, low carb