This chicken stir fry is made with marinated spicy chicken then cooked in a wok with delicious vegetables served over rice
Marinade & Sauce
- 4 tbsp sesame oil, divided
- 3 tbsp + 2 tbsp tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp rice wine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, set 1 tbsp aside
- 2 tbsp grated ginger, divided
- 2 tsp huy fong chili paste or sriracha, divided
- 2 tsp togarashi spice, divided
- 2 tbsp honey, divided
- 2 tsp corn starch
Stir Fry Ingredients
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced into 2 inch pieces
- 1 thai chili pepper or fresno, sliced (omit if you don’t like spicy or remove seeds)
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced1 large carrot, peeled & sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained & rinsed
- 8 oz baby corn, drained & rinsed
- 6 oz snow peas
- 1 cup jasmine rice prepared by package instruction
- Garnish: toasted or black sesame seeds
- Take your chicken breast and slice it horizontally into small thin slices. In a small bowl, whisk together all the marinate ingredients: 2 tbsp sesame oil, 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce, 2 tbsp rice wine, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tbsp grated ginger, 1 tsp chili paste, 1 tsp togarashi spice, 1 tbsp honey. Add the sliced chicken into the ziplock bag and pour the marinade on top. Carefully push all the air out of the bag and seal the bag. Massage the marinade into the chicken for a few seconds then store in the refrigerator for 1-4 hours.
- Begin to prepare the jasmine rice according to package instructions. While it cooks, move onto preparing the stir-fry
- In a wok over medium high heat (my stove was on an ‘8’), add the marinated chicken and discard the rest of the marinade. Allow the chicken to fully cook through. When the chicken is done, add the corn starch and stir it around to absorb and thicken the sauce. Carefully remove the chicken/sauce from the wok and set aside in a small bowl.
- Add the 2 tbsp of sesame oil to the wok, the red chili pepper, 1 tbsp grated ginger, and rest of minced garlic. Cook for 30 seconds until fragrant, don’t burn garlic. Add in the carrots, broccoli, and shiitake mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes. Add in the 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp rice wine, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tsp togarashi spice and stir to coat. Allow to cook for an additional 3 minutes, until carrots are tender. Mix in the chicken, snow peas, baby corn, water chestnuts and allow the flavors to meld for about 5 minutes until everything is warmed through. Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning to your liking (can add more togarashi, sriracha, chili paste, etc).
- Serve the stir fry over the jasmine rice and top with toasted sesame seeds or black sesame seeds.
- Method: wok
- Cuisine: asian
Keywords: stir-fry, wok, chicken stir-fry