These red wine braised beef short ribs are slow cooked for hours until they are tender, juicy, and fall off the bone. Using a fool proof oven baked polenta method, you’re left with deliciously braised short ribs, creamy polenta, topped with gravy.
- 5lbs bone in, english cut beef short ribs
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 celery ribs, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium beef stock
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tbsp beef better than bouillon paste
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup oil, for searing short ribs
- Fresh parsley, chopped to garnish
- 1 cup cornmeal, medium grind or coarse [see note]
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Slow Cooker short ribs
- Season both sides of the short ribs with kosher salt and black pepper. In a cast iron over medium/high heat, add the oil. Once hot, sear each side of the short ribs for 1 minute until a nice golden brown crust is formed (you may have to sear in batches). Once done searing all sides, place into the slow cooker/crockpot.
- Lower the heat to medium/low and add the onions and garlic cloves. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until they lightly char. Add in the red wine and deglaze the pan for 3 minutes, scraping up the bits on the bottom of the pan. Remove from the stove and pour over the short ribs in the slow cooker.
- Add the carrots, celery, beef stock, bouillon paste, tomato paste, thyme, bay leaves, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, and 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper to the slow cooker. Using tongs, mix all of the ingredients together. Set the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- After the 8 hours have elapsed, remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaves, then discard them. Carefully remove the short ribs and set aside, check and remove any bones that have fallen off of the short ribs. Using an immersion blender, blend all the vegetables until a gravy is formed. Taste the gravy and add salt/pepper if necessary. Serve the polenta, followed by the short ribs on top, and then spoon the gravy over the top [see note]. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Oven baked polenta
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 2 qt oven safe sauce pan, add in the cup of cornmeal. Slowly whisk in the water and chicken broth.
- Place in the oven and cook for 50 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven, add in a tbsp of butter, and 1/4 cup of cheese. Stir to combine and scrape around the edges of the pot. Place back into the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, stir, and taste. Add kosher salt/black pepper if needed. Serve immediately.
- You can serve the short ribs with the bone in for presentation, or you can just remove them prior to serving.
- Don’t use fine cornmeal or texture will be pasty and off
- You can make the short ribs in advance and reheat the next day. When storing, a layer of fat may accumulate on the top, simply use a spoon to remove and discard.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Slow Cooker
Keywords: short ribs, braised short ribs, slow cooker, polenta, oven baked polenta