Slow cooker chili packed full of flavor
- 2 lbs ground sirloin (lean beef)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cans (8oz) of the hot hatch chilis, or fresh hatch chiles if in season
- [Optional: 1 habanero or jalapeño pepper minced if you like your chili extra spicy]
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1–28oz can of fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1–28ox can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 dried chipotle peppers, minced
- 3 tbsp water or beef broth
- 3 1/2 Tbsp dark chili powder
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- Freshly ground black pepper & salt, to taste
- 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Garnish: Mexican shredded cheese, cilantro, fresh jalapeños
- Serve with bread, tortilla chips, crackers, your choice!
- -Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add onion, hatch chilis, and optional jalapeño and sauté 5 minutes, add garlic sauté 1 minute longer. Add to slow cooker.
- -Still over medium-high heat, add beef to skillet and cook until beef is browned. Drain most of fat from beef, leaving some liquid for flavor (about 1 tbsp). Add beef into crockpot
- -Add fire roasted tomatoes, beef broth, chili powder, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, dried chipotles, and salt/pepper to taste. Stir mixture, cover with lid and cook on low heat for 5 – 6 hours. You can taste and add more spices if desired (I usually add more dark chili powder).
- –When theres 10 min left stir in beans to heat through. Garnish with cheese, cilantro and fresh jalapeño slices.
- Category: Slow Cooker
Keywords: chili, slow cooker chili, crockpot chili, crock pot, slow cooker