Shredded chicken fajitas with either slow cooker or instant pot shredded chicken, yellow rice, sautéd peppers & onions, cotija cheese, cilantro, on fluffy soft tortillas.
- 1 1/2lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp dark chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large white or yellow onion, sliced
- 2 large bell peppers, your choice color
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 10 ct soft flour fajita tortillas
- 8 oz Vigo yellow rice (cook according to package)
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 6 oz cotija cheese or mexican shredded cheese
- Hot sauce
- Lime wedges
- 1 avocado sliced (optional)
- Combine all spices in a small bowl and mix. Add chicken broth to slow cooker, then add chicken. Pour half the seasoning in and flip chicken over then add the rest of the seasoning on top of chicken.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Once it’s ready, take two forks and shred chicken. Careful shredding in the crock pot because dish is hot. You can also remove and shred on a cutting board, then add back in.
- In a saucepan, follow the package directions of the yellow rice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 12-in cast iron skillet, over medium/ high heat add 2 tbsp of avocado oil or olive oil. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook until they have softened and are fork tender, 8-10 minutes.
- While the peppers are cooking, place tortillas in the oven to warm up. You can wrap them in foil and put in the oven for 8-10 min or if you want them crispier, carefully place on the oven rack (making sure the ends aren’t hanging over or they will curl) for about 5 minutes.
- Assembly: Take the tortilla and spoon yellow rice on it, add shredded chicken, onions & bell peppers, cheese, cilantro, hot sauce, and optional avocado! Enjoy!
Keywords: fajitas, slow cooker, shredded chicken, mexican food, chicken fajitas, instant pot