Hot Italian sausage stuffed peppers with fire roasted tomatoes, onion, garlic, flavorful rice, a ton of spices topped with delicious cheese and fresh parsley. Perfect for dinner and meal prep!
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup white rice, cooked to package instruction (do not overcook)
- 1–14oz can Fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped (1/3 cup)
- 4 bell peppers, cleaned stems and seeds removed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp reduced sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
- Garnish: fresh italian flat leaf parsley, roughy chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook rice according to package instructions, do not overcook, better to be a tad al dente because you’ll be putting into the oven.
- In a large sauté pan over medium high heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil and the hot Italian sausage. Cook the sausage, breaking it up into smaller pieces as you go, until fully cooked through. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage, place in a bowl, and set aside. Leave juices in the pan.
- Lower the heat to medium and add in the onions. Sauté for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the minced garlic and cook an additional minute. Add in the fire roasted tomatoes, the Worcestershire sauce, and the herbs/spices: basil, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Add the sausage back in, the cooked rice, and the chicken broth. Stir to combine and allow the flavors to meld for 5 minutes while you prepare the peppers.
- You can cut the peppers either horizontally or just cut a whole in the top and stuff them vertically. Either way you want to remove the stem, the seeds, and the white flesh from the inside using a pairing knife. Place the peppers in a baking dish, if they are having trouble standing shave a flat spot on the back of them with a pairing knife.
- Using a spoon, stuff the peppers with the sausage mixture, top with cheese, and cover with foil. Place in the oven for 30 minutes (peppers should be fork tender). Remove the foil and low broil the cheese for 5 minutes or until lightly browned/melted. Remove from the oven and serve with fresh parsley on top.
Keywords: stuffed peppers, hot italian sausage, sausage stuffed peppers, meal prep, dinner