Oven roasted eggplant and roasted red bell peppers in a made from scratch tomato sauce full of aromatics. This roasted eggplant and bell pepper pasta is the perfect vegetarian pasta dish that is rich in flavor and nutrients.
- 1 1/2 lb eggplant, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded/stem removed, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 tbsp olive oil + 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1–28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 8oz rigatoni or pasta of choice
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Fresh basil
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss the diced eggplant and red bell peppers in 3 tbsp olive oil, 2 pinches of kosher salt and 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and spread the eggplant and bell peppers onto the baking sheet [see note]. Roast for 30 minutes flipping halfway through, then flip again and roast for 10 more minutes until veggies begin to char [see note]. Remove and set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- While the eggplant and bell peppers roast, in a dutch oven over medium heat, add in 2 tbsp of olive oil and minced shallot. Sauté for 2 minutes until they begin to turn translucent. Add in the garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes, oregano, pinch of salt and black pepper. Sauté for 1 minute until the garlic becomes fragrant. Add in the whole peeled tomatoes and it’s juices, the tomato paste, and allow to come to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and using an immersion blender, blend until the sauce has an even consistency. Once the eggplant and bell peppers are roasted, add them to the sauce, and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, allow to simmer while the pasta cooks.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Reserve a 1/4 cup of pasta water. Drain the pasta and add it to the pasta sauce. Stir until all of the pasta is coated with the sauce. Add in 1 tbsp of reserved pasta water to thicken the sauce. Serve with fresh basil and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Make sure you’re using a large enough baking sheet so the eggplant and peppers aren’t too crowded, this will affect them roasting.
- Monitor the eggplant closely the final 10 minutes because they can burn quickly
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Oven/Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: roasted eggplant, roasted red bell pepper, pasta sauce, vegetarian, pasta