Juicy tender marinated flank steak with a soy sauce based marinade, paired with a basil cilantro chimichurri.
- 1 flank steak (about 1 1/2–2 pounds)
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp low sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- handful of fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
Basil Cilantro Chimichurri
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil (or can use traditional parsley)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 fresno chile, seeded and chopped
- pinch of kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients and whisk together to combine. Take the flank steak and using a fork, stab it a few times on both sides to ensure marinade penetrates deeply. In a large Tupperware that fits the steak, place the flank steak and then pour the marinade in. Spoon marinade over the top of the steak. Place in fridge and marinate for minimum 1 hour to 6 hours, flipping the steak halfway through.
- Once the stead is done marinating, over a high heat grill, cook the flank steak on each side for 5-7 minutes depending on the temperature you desire. Once cooked, remove from grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes before cutting. I cooked it to medium temperature and it took about 6-6 1/2 minutes each side to get an internal temperature of 145 degrees. When you cut the steak, cut against “the grain” aka the lines going through the steak so it is tender when eating.
- For the chimichurri, mix all the ingredients in a small bowl. Once the steak is done cooking and sliced, serve over the steak.
- For medium rare internal temperature should be 130-135. For medium temperature should be 145.
- Cut against “the grain” when slicing the meat to ensure it is tender when eating. “The grain” is the lines (muscle fibers) in the meat that will make it tough if you cut parallel to them.
- Method: Grilling
Keywords: flank steak, marinade, marinated steak, chimichurri