Homemade jerk chicken marinade full of spices, heat, and flavor.
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast (4 single breast)
- Garnish: Chopped scallions
- 1/2 yellow onion, roughly chopped (1/2 cup)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 2 inches ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp ground all spice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, grated
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp better than bouillon paste (optional)
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper or habanero, stems removed (if you like really spicy add 2)
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
Serve with my Spicy Caribbean Rice
- In a food processor, combine all the marinade ingredients and pulse until all ingredients are combined into a paste. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed, can add more all spice if desired.
- Separate the chicken breasts and clean where necessary. Add to a gallon ziplock bag and pour the marinade into the bag, carefully pushing out excess air, and seal. Massage the marinade into the chicken and place into the refrigerator. Marinate overnight or minimum 8 hours.
- Grill over medium high heat (about 425 degrees) for 5-8 minutes each side. Cooking time will depend on thickness of chicken and grill heat. You are looking for an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove from grill and garnish with chopped scallions and serve with a side of rice or side of choice.
- You can place the marinade in a sealed jar and keep refrigerated for a week or freeze if you want to keep longer.
Keywords: jerk chicken, jerk marinade, chicken marinade