Comforting bowl of soup with hot Italian sausage, spinach, cannellini beans, and a ton of umami.
- 2 links Hot Italian Sausage, case removed (1 lb)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon or 2 tbsp liquid form
- 3 qt‘s low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 bag elbow pasta (1/2 lb)
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 can white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Optional garnish: fresh grated parmesan cheese
- In a soup pot, heat 3 tbsp olive oil over medium high heat. Add the uncased hot Italian sausage and brown. Break it up as you cook it, once browned remove and set aside, leaving the juices in the pot.
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook for about 6 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften, but not brown. Add the 1 tbsp butter, the garlic, and all the seasonings (pepper, thyme, sage, oregano) and cook for 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the 3 qt’s of chicken broth and the chicken bouillon, cook for 5 minutes so the broth heats up. Add the pasta and stir for 1 minute so the pasta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Add the hot Italian sausage back in and lower the heat to low for 15 minutes. Once done, add the spinach and beans and stir to combine. Allow the spinach leaves to wilt in and beans to heat up about 5 more minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with fresh grated parmesan (optional)
- Category: Soup
Keywords: italian sausage, soup, white bean soup, cannellini beans, spinach