This fresh green bean casserole recipe utilizes no canned ingredients. A green bean casserole from scratch with cremini mushrooms, fresh green beans, the most flavorful gravy base, and topped with fried shallots.
- 2lbs green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-in pieces
- 1lb cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups turkey stock (or vegetable)
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, stems removed
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups shallots, thinly sliced with mandoline or hand cut
- 2 cups fry safe oil
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep the green beans, trim the ends and cut into 2 inch pieces. In a boiling pot of water, add green beans and cook till bright green about 4-5 minutes. While green beans are cooking, get a large bowl and add ice and water. Once green beans are done blanching, immediately drain and transfer to ice bath to stop the cooking. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, lemon juice, stock, cream, and set aside.
- In a dutch oven or large sauté pan over medium/high heat, add the butter. Once the butter is melted add the mushrooms and sage/thyme, cook for 10 min until the mushrooms release their liquid, and the liquid evaporates. Grate the garlic and cook for minute until fragrant.
- Add the flour slowly, mixing until mushrooms are coated. Whisking constantly, slowly add the broth/cream mixture to the mushrooms and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer until sauce thickens about 5 minutes. Taste and season to taste with kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- Add green beans to greased baking dish and pour mushroom sauce over the top. Stir gently until green beans are fully mixed into the mushroom sauce. Place uncovered into the oven for 30 minutes, until the top is browned and bubbling.
- While the casserole is baking in the oven, time to fry the shallots. In a small dutch oven or fry safe pot, add 2 cups of fry safe oil and heat over high (an 8 on my range). Once heated up, add shallots and stir frequently until the shallots are crisp and golden brown about 10-15 minutes [see note]. Transfer to a plate, lined with multiple paper towels to drain excess oil. Season with a pinch of kosher salt and let cool.
- Remove casserole from oven, top with fried shallots, and serve immediately [see note].
- The shallots will first cook in the oil which takes majority of the time. Then they will begin to fry in the last few minutes. Keep a close eye because they can burn quickly.
- If you’re not serving immediately, do not top with fried shallots. Cover the casserole with foil and only top with the shallots when you’re ready to serve or else they will get soggy.
- You can prep the casserole ahead of time and just heat through on 350 degrees prior to serving.
- Serving size is based on this dish being served as a side dish
Keywords: green bean casserole, green beans, fried shallots, thanksgiving, thanksgiving side dish, mushrooms, vegetarian