Green bean casserole made from scratch with fried shallots on top.
- 2lbs green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-in pieces
- 1lb cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups turkey stock (or any stock)
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, stems removed
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups shallots, thinly sliced with mandoline or hand cut
- 2 cups canola oil
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep the green beans, trim the ends and cut into 2 inch pieces. In a boiling pot of water, add green beans and cook till bright green about 4-5 minutes. While green beans are cooking, get a large bowl and add ice and water. Once green beans are done blanching, immediately drain and transfer to ice bath to stop the cooking.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, lemon juice, stock, cream, and set aside.
- In a dutch oven or large sauté pan over medium/high heat, add the butter. Once the butter is melted add the mushrooms and sage/thyme, cook for 6-8 min until the mushrooms are sizzling. Grate the garlic and cook for about a minute. Add the flour and cook for 1-2min stirring constantly until absorbed into the mushrooms. Whisking constantly, slowly add the broth/cream mixture to the mushrooms and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer until sauce thickens about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Add green beans to greased baking dish and pour mushroom sauce over the top. Stir gently to combine and put in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes.
- While the casserole is in the oven, time to fry the shallots. In a small dutch oven or fry safe pot, add 2 cups of canola oil and heat over high (an 8 on my range). Once heated up, add shallots and stir frequently until the shallots are crisp and golden brown about 10-15 minutes. Transfer to a plate, lined with multiple paper towels to drain excess oil. Season with salt and let cool.
- Remove casserole from oven, top with fried shallots, and serve.
Keywords: green bean casserole, green beans, casserole, fried shallots