Fiddlehead, ramp, and cheese tart with gruyere and fontina cheese over puff pastry.
- 4 oz fiddleheads, cleaned and prepped (see instructions below)
- 4 stalks ramps, cleaned and roots removed, roughly chopped
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (1/2 pound), defrosted
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- small pinch cinnamon
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Prepping fiddleheads: Under cold running water, thoroughly wash the fiddleheads, rubbing them to remove any brown papery substance, and ensure to get in the crevices of the stem. Rinse them until all dirt is removed. Pat dry with a paper towel. Using a pairing knife, cut off the dark ended stems.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small pot of boiling water, add the fiddleheads and allow them to cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the boiling water and add to an ice bath to discontinue the cooking. (Ice bath: small bowl with a handful of ice cubes filled with water). Dump out the water, add the ramps in with the fiddleheads, the 2 tsp of olive oil, salt/ pepper, toss to coat and set aside.
- While the fiddleheads are boiling, unravel the defrosted puff pastry and place on a lined baking sheet (you can use silicone mat or parchment paper). Using a fork, poke holes in the puff pastry, then place in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove.
- In a small bowl, add the gruyere, fontina, 2 egg yolks, milk, pinch of cinnamon and mix together until combined. Spread onto the puff pastry, leaving 1/2 inch border on all the sides. Top with the fiddleheads and ramps, then cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the edges begin to brown and cheese is melted. Remove from the oven, slice into squares, and serve!
- It is very important to thoroughly clean the fiddleheads and do not skip the boiling process.
- When boiling the fiddleheads the water may darken if any residue is left behind.
- You can substitute the fiddleheads with asparagus, if doing so you only need to blanch for 5 minutes instead of the 15 min.
Keywords: fiddleheads, ramps, cheese tart, puff pastry, fontina, gruyere