Cornbread stuffing, the perfect combination of sweet and savory.
- 1 batch of Cornbread (or storebought), 1 or 2 days old or toasted, roughly crumbled
- 1 1/2lb breakfast sausage (not sweet)
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tsp + 2 tsp fresh thyme, removed from stem
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups, turkey broth
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In a large skillet over medium/high heat, cook sausage until browned. About 5-8 minutes. Remove from skillet and put into large mixing bowl
- In the same skillet, add the butter, onion, celery, and sauté until softened. About 3-5 minutes. Add in garlic, sage, and 2 tsp of thyme and sauté another minute until fragrant. Remove from skillet and add to the mixing bowl with sausage.
- Add the roughly crumbled cornbread and gently mix. Add the other 2tsp of fresh thyme on top.
- In an oven safe baking dish, coat with nonstick spray, then add the cornbread mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and turkey broth then pour over the cornbread mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes, top should brown. Remove from oven and can serve immediately or if prepping before can be reheated prior to serving.
- Cornbread should be a 1/2 days old or you can toast fresh cornbread