This carne asada taco marinade infuses so much flavor into the skirt steak leaving it so tender and perfect for tacos!
- 1 to 1 1/2 lb skirt steak (see note)
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 1/2 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
- 4 chipotles in adobo sauce, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dark chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- In a container or large ziplock, whisk together all of the marinade ingredients. Place skirt steak in the marinade, seal the container, place in fridge, and marinate for 12-24 hours.
- Remove from marinade and you can prepare either on the grill or in a cast iron pan.
- Grill: Preheat the grill on high heat and oil the grates carefully. Once preheated, add the steak and cook each side 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from grill, place on a plate, and allow to rest covered in foil for 5 minutes before slicing/serving.
- Cast Iron Pan: In a seasoned large cast iron pan over high heat, add the skirt steak. Cook on each side for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from cast iron, place on a plate, and allow to rest covered in foil for 5 minutes before slicing/serving.
- Slice the skirt steak against the grain and assemble your tacos! Enjoy!
- If the skirt steak is extremely long, you can cut it in half to make flipping on the grill easier.
- Against the grain: Opposite way of the muscle fibers, easy to find on skirt steak so you’ll be cutting across the shorter length.
Keywords: carne asada, skirt steak, marinade, grilling, steak marinade, steak tacos