Deliciously crispy coconut shrimp that is baked instead of fried and it’s also gluten free!
- 1 lb large raw peeled and deveined shrimp, tails still intact, rinsed and dried with a paper towel
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 egg whites
- Cooking spray
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, for example a sweet and spicy chili sauce.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a baking sheet with a rack placed inside, spray the rack with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornstarch, kosher salt, and cayenne pepper, stir to combine. In another medium bowl, beat the egg whites until they are frothy (about 2 minutes). In the last medium bowl, place the coconut flakes.
- One by one dip the shrimp first in the cornstarch and shake to remove excess, then into the beaten egg whites, then into the coconut flakes. Press the coconut flakes onto all sides of the shrimp, shake, then place on the baking rack. Repeat with all remaining shrimp.
- Cook in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the shrimp is no longer translucent in the middle and the coconut is golden brown. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, such as a sweet and spicy chili sauce
- If your coconut flakes are too large, you can pulse a few times in a food processor.
- You can substitute the corn starch for all purpose flour, but will no longer be gluten free.
Keywords: shrimp, coconut shrimp, baked, gluten free