Crispy baked chicken parmesan made with panko breadcrumbs to ensure crispiness and baked in the oven instead of fried!
- 4 individual chicken breast, pounded thin or chicken cutlets
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 8oz Italian Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 jar (24 oz) Arrabbiata sauce
- Sliced or grated cheese of choice (parmesan, provolone, mozzarella)
- Fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Optional: French baguette or sourdough
- My homemade Garlic Bread recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Prepare the garlic bread (can skip if not making as a side dish or to use as chicken parm sandwich)
- Pound chicken breast to even thickness. In three separate containers add the flour, panko breadcrumbs, and beaten eggs. Take the chicken breast and place it in the flour and coat both sides, give it a small shake to release excess. Next, dip both sides into the egg mixture and then place into the bread crumbs. Make sure to press the breadcrumbs down into the chicken and get the nooks and crannies on both sides. Place onto a greased baking sheet and repeat with remaining chicken breast.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes then remove from the oven and flip over, then return back into the oven for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spoon some arrabbiata sauce onto the center of each chicken cutlet. Place a slice of cheese on top of each one. [See note below for warming additional red sauce] Return back to oven and low broil for 5 minutes on the top rack or until cheese is brown and bubbling. Remove from oven and top with fresh basil.
- Ways to serve: over fresh pasta, as a sandwich using my garlic bread recipe, or serve the garlic bread on the side.
- Warm additional sauce on the side for dipping/pasta sauce -or- you can transfer cutlets (when it’s time to add the sauce and cheese) to a rectangular baking dish and surround them with more sauce to heat up while the cheese melts. Do not do this while chicken is on the sheet pan because its thin and will burn the sauce
Keywords: chicken parmesan, chicken parm, chicken parm sandwich, garlic bread